Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old Rat Terrier has had a sensitive stomach all her life. Occasionally, I will hear her tummy gurgling loudly, like a churning stomach acid sound, and she will not want to eat. That’s when I know she feels bad because she always wants to eat! Sometimes when her stomach is upset I will see her go outside and vomit, typically a frothy, mucousy substance. But she doesn’t always throw up.

A couple years ago when her stomach was making a lot of noise and she looked miserable, I took her to the vet. The vet gave her a probiotic and recommended switching her food to Science Diet or Royal Canin. She had been eating Nutro Chicken & Brown Rice most of her life, although I had switched her to the Senior formula around that time and thought maybe the glucosamine was upsetting her stomach. After the probiotic and trying the new food (I tried both brands), she was still having her occasional stomach issues.

I eventually switched her to Blue Buffalo and she seemed to do well for awhile, but every so often her tummy would get upset again. I decided to try a slow feed puzzle bowl to slow down her eating since she always eats way too fast and I know that can cause bloat. It definitely slowed her down, from less than a minute to almost 5 minutes! That was good to see. Again, her stomach was good for awhile but then the gurgling started back up. I decided to try grain free food. I discovered the Blue Buffalo formula had garlic (which is known to be toxic) so I tried Avoderm (which made her really itchy) and then found Zignature. No grain, no potato, no fish oil, no garlic. So if it was a food sensitivity, this should take care of it, right? Well, the gurgly stomach started up again! So what in the world could be causing it?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I tried Avoderm (which made her really itchy) and then found Zignature. No grain, no potato, no fish oil, no garlic. So if it was a food sensitivity, this should take care of it, right? Well, the gurgly stomach started up again! So what in the world could be causing it?
Mine went through that. What meat did you switch to? What your dog may have is a meat intolerance. I took mine off meat entirely for 3 months and cooked for him. With in a couple of days his stomach stopped all the things it did. That included the loud noisy stomach. He used to throw up bile because he would refuse to eat. It was so nice when the veggie diet worked I was afraid to add the meat back in but dogs need meat so I finally did. Turkey was the only meat I had not tried when we did trials to figure out what was wrong with him. Try a meat he has never eaten. Since he was on chicken al his life I would avoid it. Zignature is a great food no chicken or eggs in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Switched from Chicken to Turkey

Mine went through that. What meat did you switch to? What your dog may have is a meat intolerance. I took mine off meat entirely for 3 months and cooked for him. With in a couple of days his stomach stopped all the things it did. That included the loud noisy stomach. He used to throw up bile because he would refuse to eat. It was so nice when the veggie diet worked I was afraid to add the meat back in but dogs need meat so I finally did. Turkey was the only meat I had not tried when we did trials to figure out what was wrong with him. Try a meat he has never eaten. Since he was on chicken al his life I would avoid it. Zignature is a great food no chicken or eggs in it.
Her food was always chicken until I switched her to Blue Buffalo. Since then, it has been turkey. I know Zignature has other varieties, but I’m staying away from Trout & Salmon and Whitefish because it’ll make her breath smell fishy. The other options would be Lamb, Duck, or Kangaroo. I’m hesitant to try a new protein but maybe that’s what I need to do. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Very occasionally my dog will wake up and not want to eat. In his case it's really uncommon, maybe every few months. Each time this has happened I've noticed that his stomach has been grumbly through the rest of the day, but no diarrhea or vomiting. That night when I've offered food he's always eaten with no problem and shown no signs of a problem going forward. I'll make sure to avoid giving him anything to eat to avoid further stomach upsetting, and I don't do any strenuous exercise. He's usually a very active dog, but who wants to bike several miles with an upset stomach? :p Never had any issues the next day... if people can sometimes feel off and not inclined to eat then I don't see why that wouldn't be the case with dogs.

For what it's worth, my dog is also a rat terrier and eating Fromm food. I'm currently feeding one of the grain inclusive varieties, but these events have happened on a couple of different occasions when eating a couple of the grain free varieties. For that reason I don't think it has too much to do with the protein source in the food. It's also worth noting (by sheer coincidence) that the most recent of these incidents happened today. Hasn't happened in a few months, and he ate just fine tonight. Kind of funny that you mention this today.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Blue buffalo says contains no chickens or by products etc but they do, purina tested thier ingredients and found poultry by products amongst other things! so that would account for that.

I agree its some intolerance. When my Jessie was on now fresh small breed she had this same problem! i could hear it all the time like constant hunger and she pooped up to 6 times a day basically was pooing out the food! her skin was a bit red too. i couldnt wait to get her off it though the vet wasnt happy for me to do this but i couldnt stand it and her anal glands too ugh!

So got her off it and onto acana pacifica bad mistake infected her anal glands and bad farts. duck dry food a trial sample phew stunk out the car!

So the kangaroo formula might be best for your dog right now. have you also tried venison?

·
Registered
123 Posts
We've been having issues with a grumbly, noisy tummy too. Seems to happen about 2 to 3 times a week lately, sometimes less. Usually happens after Maddie skips a meal, she can be a picky eater. I give her liquid infant simethicone, and that helps most of the time, although I always have to try to get her to eat something, too. I was feeding Fromm's grain-free, and have had her on Wellness Core grain-free now for the past two months (no chicken), as she was getting picky about the Fromms... but she seems to have this no matter what I feed her, at least so far. I'm thinking of adding probiotics. Maddie is half Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (they seem to have their share of GI woes), and part Yorkie-Poo. So, I sure can relate, this grumbly yummy thing is stressful. Maddie usually seems OK, but she did yip once during an episode, although within 30 minutes of some food (mixed with some boiled white rice) with simethicone, she was fine. It worries me though.... and it always seems to happen at 3:00 to 6:00 in the morning, almost never during the day. Making me think it may be due to her having an empty tummy. I feed her 3 times a day, and sometimes a small meal in the early evening, she isn't overweight, and her weight is good.

Let us know how it goes with the lamb formula. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It worries me though.... and it always seems to happen at 3:00 to 6:00 in the morning, almost never during the day. Making me think it may be due to her having an empty tummy. I feed her 3 times a day, and sometimes a small meal in the early evening, she isn't overweight, and her weight is good.

Let us know how it goes with the lamb formula. Hope it helps.
Try giving 1/4 cup of kefir and a small amount of food maybe like a couple of cookies before bedtime as late as possible. This helps with that empty stomach syndrome.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Dawnben, I have only recently heard about kefir, I have GI troubles, and first heard about it a few weeks ago. I will have to try that.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@k9jadie how is your dog doing on the lamb formula?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts