Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have an 8-year old rat terrier/chihuahua who's always had not the best stomach. Every four months or so, she has an upset stomach that could last a day to a few days, including some diarrhea, gurgling stomach, constant stretching, etc. Things clear up with prescription food and/or mitronidazole.

But since the beginning of the month she's been experiencing much longer bouts of stomach gurgling, waking us up around 5-6am. She then refuses to eat her breakfast or morning treat, sometimes waiting until 2pm to finally eat. She's had diarrhea a few times during this, but her stool generally starts off okay and then finishes up with mucus. Sometimes it's only mucus.

We've had her stool tested twice, her bloodwork done, and everything comes back okay. Her diet has been the Hill's Science I/D or W/D b/c her stomach has been sensitive to other foods, though Avoderm worked pretty well for a while. The vet also suggested Pepcid every night for a while b/c it may be too much acid in her stomach.

Any idea what this could be? I've found a new sensitive stomach food to try, but I'd like to find a solution so she doesn't have to go through this every so often. Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
A gurgly tummy is sometimes empty. Have you tried feeding smaller amounts but more frequently, and a biscuit or something last thing at night to have something in her tummy overnight? That might also help with the stool starting ok and becoming loose.

Another easy suggestion is a teaspoonful or two of live yoghurt, which might help rebalance her gut bacteria. There are mixed views on how much of the culture reaches the gut but it certainly won't do any harm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I have been giving her a bit of food right before bed with the Pepcid as the vet suggested. However, you're making me wonder if the change in food to prescription food back in late April when she had another bout has affected her daily caloric intake, and that combined with the fact that I cut out all treats when she started to feel sick this time around has significantly cut back on how much food/calories she's taking in. I just checked the calories of the foods I've switched her between and the amount went from a high of 475/can to 307/can. I'll mention that to the vet in case. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts