Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this boy for almost a year now, he is nearly 2! He came from the shelter and I was told almost nothing about his history, I don't think the shelter really knew anything about him and I think he came in as a stray. It has been killing me trying to guess what his mix is, and I'm thinking of doing a DNA test with the vets office but I want to hear some new ideas first! I have been calling him and Akita/Pitbull, but he could really be anything!

As for physical characteristics, he is about 60 lbs, athletic build, and he has a double coat that he blew last Spring. Temperment-wise, he is very affectionate and cuddly, naturally comfortable around children and other dogs, excels in obedience (CGC at 1 year old, register therapy dog at 14 months), is very prey driven (points, chases, often stares and whines at my hedgehog), slightly anxiety prone, doesn't like to swim, usually quiet but protective instinct (will guard me and the house from strangers with barking and dominant body language).

What do you think?!

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
What a beautiful, clever dog you have.

I can't see a pitbull in him. Akita or similiar asian breed yes. Appearance wise I think there may be a Thai ridgeback. But based on his obedience and prey drive I would think there is a Malinois in him.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Belgian Malinois/Cattle Dog or Akita/Belgian Malinois

·
Registered
286 Posts
he is stunning! i think you are right saying Akita/pitty. i have an akita cross, a similar colour, but looking at his head, espechially in the second picture, i can see pitty. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats my King. he is a husky/akita cross, same colour, but the head and nose are definitely different. :)
So cute!!! I was told husky/akita/pitbull when I picked him up from the shelter, but I don't see any husky in him at all. They really have no similar characteristics- your boy looks like a real akita/husky with that coat!

·
Registered
286 Posts
im surprised he is so obedient and registered as a therapy dog as such a young age!
i have no experience with pittys, but akitas have a reputation of being stubborn and differcult, and i must say i had a hard time with king when he was younger. he was fine round house and garden, but could be differcult on walks, pulling on the lead, and only in older age, i could let him off the lead.
i read somewhere that the akita is the Japanese equivalent of a German Shepard.... judging by King...hard to believe, :p
and thank you, he is a character!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts