Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Puck on July 19, 2009, a Sunday, from Wayside Waifs in Kansas City, MO. He is completely deaf, and has a chance of going blind in the future - however I absolutely adore this little man. He has been amazing, and is already learning how to sit by hand signals - I just wanted some guesses on possible breed mixes? He is my lovely little mutt, all they knew for sure was that his mother was a chihuahua as his entire litter was dumped with Wayside Waifs by the owner of the mother dog.

I cannot wait to get some classes going with him at Wayside Waifs, and we are looking to start going to dog parks after some puppy classes. He's already shown me so much in one day. Anyways, I just want some breed guess on him - I personally feel like he has Dachshund in him, and my neighbor believes Basset Hound.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
How old? How much does he weigh? In one pic he looks small so I would say dachshund but in the last one he looks thicker but still too tall for basset. It is difficult to tell when they are not full grown so it depends on if he is or not. Looks like a serious Heinz57 in the face lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
At first glance I see dachshund. I know doxies come piebald...and som'times pieds are all white. He has to be a dapple pied to have the light colored eyes... Double dapples cause a white animal that is prone to being deaf...

Do you know what mom looked like?

Whats his wieght? I know you mentioned he was a pup still too...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you train him with hand signals, what is going to happen if he does go blind? I have heard that you can train them with thumps on the floor so they can feel the vibrations.

I don't know diddly about any of this so am just sitting on the sidelines rooting for you!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The head looks something like a whippet and the tail curves like one, but that may be the doxie/chihuahua idk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts