Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my puppy Archie. He is a mix of several breeds. After a couple of guesses I will post a photo of his mom, and then eventually post a picture of his litter mates. These guys are seriously all over the place, so good luck guessing lol. Archie's mom has had her DNA tested and so has one of his littermates. But we all know that doesn't generally mean anything and it's still a guessing game.

*No idea why the files are so big, they were all saved smaller than they appear on my screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
That is such a handsome dog!!! Wow!!!

No idea what the breed is, but I have to say, he has a slender build like a Sight-hound but the intense eyes of a Pit-bull type dog. Possibly a boxer mix? Like I said, no real idea, just that he is very handsome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. He is a pretty cool looking dog. He has a similar build to my other dog, Eli.. who is likely a Boxer/Plott Hound cross.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
He's very handsome. He looks like he could just be a Heinz 57 mix, but if I had to guess specifics id say maybe Australian cattle dog, hound and or bully breed, and some sight hound and possibly a dollop of shepherd somewhere in there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Almost looks like he is part Rhodesian Ridgeback. The crest-to-muzzle is so smooth and long, similar to a Bull Terrier, something seen in certain Sight Hounds too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too late to edit the above post, but thinking about it some more, I had changed my mind, now I guess:
Collie/Boxer/Cattle Dog

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Boxer, GSD, and I agree with those saying some sort of sight hound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's definitely a mystery that's for sure. Here are some pictures of his mom and litter-mates (he is the last puppy on the pups photo).

They are all so different yet very much the same. We get together every once in awhile to let the pups play and see how they are all doing. Archie's mother was pregnant when she came into the rescue, so we actually know who she is and where all of her pups went. Really cool! Usually with Mutts you never get to see their siblings. I will post some photos of his siblings as 1 year olds in a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is the father had American Bulldog in him. My reasoning is that the largest puppy in the litter is well over 100lbs, he's a beast!! Here are some of his litter-mates for comparison. The last photo is a picture of them when they were a bit younger-Archie was one of the smallest pups and Bentley was the biggest.

River (that's the mom) had her DNA tested, I know they are very hit-or-miss as far as the results go but what came back was: "Bloodhound, Shar-Pei, Siberian Husky, Rottweiler, Bull Mastiff, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever". His brother Cooper (the one who has the most similar color to Archie) came back as "Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd, American Bulldog, and Staffordshire Terrier"

Archie's personality is extremely Husky like, so I can see that. He also constantly has his nose to the ground looking for things, so I can see some sort of hound. He also has a strong desire to herd and stalk so German Shepherd comes to mind. The very end of his muzzle and his eye area definitely remind me of Shar-Peis oddly enough.

Who knows! The pups are so different, it's really cool to think about though. I wish the DNA testing was more accurate. I was considering getting him tested just to compare it to his mother's and brother's results but I dunno, seems like a crapshoot!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It's amazing how different looking mixed breed siblings come out.

It's strange that mom and Cooper didn't come up with at least one or two matches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Bentley's (Archie's biggest brother) DNA only came back with three breeds apparently. German Shepherd, Bull Mastiff, and Dalmatian. LoL

·
Registered
880 Posts
German Shepherd, Bull Mastiff are probably accurate since 2 DNA tests from 2 members came back with those. Otherwise Mixed bag of Cute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts