Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
She looks a lot like a Pharaoh Hound or pariah dog like Carolina dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She looks a lot like a Pharaoh Hound or pariah dog like Carolina dog.
Hi Tracie, that was one of my exact thoughts too!She seemed to fit the standards Carolina Dog after reading the American Rare Breed Association's breed standards. I was told she was a German Shepherd Mix because of her face and ears. I have also gotten feedback that she may be part Cattle Dog because of her deeper chest and stockier body than a GSD. Someone also suggested she may be part Basenji because of her slightly wrinkled head. However, all these traits point me to the possibility that she may be Carolina Dog instead. She is still only a 5 month old pup and filling out (I'm trying to get a little more fat and muscle on her as her ribs are slightly visible). I know it's a rare breed and that may be why no one has suggested that possibility, but what made you think she is one?

Thank you again for your response!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I second schäfi mix.
If i didn't make a mistake with converting the weight, 18 kg also seems relatively normal for a Schäfi.
Perhaps she's mixed with another herder, like one of the Belgians for example.
mixing several Pastoral breeds is not that seldom and it can be a very fun mix.
make sure to not overfeed your dog and exercise with her in a way that's that gentle on the bones and growing joints...like swimming for example. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts