Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here and we just adopted our Pippi in April. At the time we were told by the shelter that she was a "terrier mix" which I guess is basically another way of saying "no idea." She was also found as a stray so there is no background on her.

We've had many guesses but the one that seems most striking is Dutch Shepherd although we know she's mixed with something else because she's considerably smaller (she's approximately 10 months old and only 22 pounds) than a dutchie would be, although strikingly similar in appearance, coloring, etc....minus the curly tail! Please let us know what you think!

100_0763.jpg

100_0764.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was really hoping to get some good guesses!!!

I guess everyone is stumped!!!!:ponder:just like us....But she is cute though although we've been told by several people she looks like a hyena!!! or one of those 'African Dogs!"

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think mixes with unknown breeds can look like a specific breed. You will have to wait for characteristics to show you the way. I see a lot of mixed people think are dutch shephs but are akita or german sheph mixes. Personally with the way the tail looks in the pictures I could see akita.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i have a dog with very similar brindle pattern that i think might be a dutch shepherd mix. my guy is about 65 lbs now so he is more the right size. my vet says he thinks dutch was a very good guess for Clover but it is so hard to really be certain.22 lbs... could be terrier, pugs and french bulldogs are brindle, but she doesn't quite have the face for it, lol. she does sort of have an akita face. i found some good info on dogbreedinfo.com that could help you you can look up pictures of mixes and purebreds and see if you find anything that looks like her. i really wanted to do the genetic testing to see if i got any answers from that but i've heard (from this forum) that it is sort of disappointing.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i just looked up a little dog that is related to a JRT but can have a brindle coat, i can't remember the name though!lol i think it was atlas terrier, the picture i saw wasn't brindle but....

oh and if you get a sec, look up portuguese cattle dog. looks like a brindle lab, that is exactly what my dog looks like! not very likely that he is one as they are rare and stuff, but there is a breeder in pennsylvania i think.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd have to say german shepard but the weight would be way off. Hmm =/
I have no clue =/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts