Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this fact has been pointed out by other members but, I just want to ask, what do you think is the meaning of having a guard dog, for example, my neighbors have a dog they so claim is a guard dog, all day long all the dog does is thrash himself violently against the fence, barking like crazy to anyone who comes along, he is also quite malnourished. To me I think it's just cruel to make a dog feel so insecure that it would lunge and bark at anyone that passes by, what is your opinion on this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmm...yeah, I think there is a big difference between having a guard dog vs having a dog that is so bored and neglected, that it shows its anxiety by barking at just anything through a fence.

Properly trained guard dogs are super socialized, and know how to distinguish a real threat to its owner and acting on only a real threat vs lunging at anything it can, including the little kid walking down the sidewalk.

I agree with you - the dog your neighbours have sounds like it's suffering from anxiety/ fear/ boredom. Poor dog.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know this fact has been pointed out by other members but, I just want to ask, what do you think is the meaning of having a guard dog, for example, my neighbors have a dog they so claim is a guard dog, all day long all the dog does is thrash himself violently against the fence, barking like crazy to anyone who comes along, he is also quite malnourished. To me I think it's just cruel to make a dog feel so insecure that it would lunge and bark at anyone that passes by, what is your opinion on this?

If he's clearly malnourished depending on your county (not really state even, because they an differ wildly) you may be able to have them do a wellness check.

Guard dogs who are guard dogs are intensely trained dogs who alert but only act on command. Real guard dogs would never "thrash" against a fence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts