Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD has always needed to have her claws clipped and ground down. It's around that time fro her to go in to get them ground down again but I noticed that her back claws are extreamly short. Like I just took her in, and her front claws are long as ever. I'm kind of confused. What would cause that? Sometimes I will throw her ball on a paved road, but wouldn't that affect the front and back? I just want to make sure she isn't getting hurt or something. The only new thing I have done is let her swim in our pool. But I don't think thats it because the pool is lined with a double layer of soft plastic padding on the bottom and sides.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Short nails even to where you can barely see them is good. As long as the quick inside isn't being cut to short and is bleeding everywhere, you're on the right track. Paved roads affect back claws more than the front because when the dog runs, they use their back feet to push and the claws start to file down. It does file down the front claws also but not as much as the back claws. If you feel that her front claws are too long (touching the ground, you should be able to fit a dime under her nail when her foot is flat on the ground), you can clip them, or use a dremel tool and file them down.

·
Registered
713 Posts
A lot of dogs, especially German shepherds, are "rear wheel drive". Basically the bulk of their forward movement comes from pushing off with the back legs. About 80% of the dogs we do nail trims on have longer front nails compared to the back nails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank-you so much for the replies! <3 I can rest easy knowing my baby isn't hurting herself :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Even my little Shih Tzu x Maltese keep their back nails ground down shorter than their fronts. I think it is quite common for a lot of breeds. Mine are never, or very seldom, on pavement, just hard ground.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
My current GSD rarely needs her rear nails clipped as she keeps those maintained via her drive. In the winter time since the surface is softer due to snow I find that they need a trimming but never much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts