Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A relative of mine bought a German Shepherd (male) without thinking, cannot manage him and gets infuriated when he displays puppy behaviour. He is six months old. This person recently decided to re home the GSD and we are considering taking him on ourselves.

We have small dogs, but have experience with big dogs.

My only worry is my two terriers. They are both friendly, good with other dogs and have never shown dog aggression, or human for the matter. They are four and five, not very dominant and placid creatures.

Would a six month old GSD get on with two small dogs, or would this be a problem? The GSD is not aggressive, however has not seen many dogs other than puppy classes (short lived) and dogs at the park, who he is friendly too.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It depends on the dog. Plenty of GSDs get along fine with small dogs. I'd keep them separated when I'm not there to supervise, but I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It all depends on the dogs, have your dogs meet the german shepherd. That way you can get a idea of how the three will get along and if they will tolerate each other. It also depends on how your terriers will feel about a rambunctious puppy.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Honestly, in this situation, even if you can't keep the GSD, he's better off with you rehoming him than his current owner. So if the dogs aren't compatible for whatever reason, keep them separated and call a GSD rescue for help rehoming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're just double checking everyone in the family is okay with us getting a GSD, only one family member is not so keen.

My dogs have not met the GSD as of yet, but they will if we do decide to take on the dog. My dogs are playful if other dogs are playful, they're typical tail wagging terriers who love everything on legs. They've met big puppies before that have leapt on them, etc and each time they've responded with enthusiasm and even more tail wagging. Like I said, they are very placid, but can be very hyper.

If things did not work out then we would rehome the GSD ourselves. In my mind, finding him a forever home whilst he's young is important, as this is when he is most impressionable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^sounds like a good plan. I see no reason why a GSD w a suitable temperament can't get on w small dogs, but you'll only know for sure once they meet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^sounds like a good plan. I see no reason why a GSD w a suitable temperament can't get on w small dogs, but you'll only know for sure once they meet.
Posted via Mobile Device
He is a lovely dog, which is even more surprising considering he is ignored pretty much the whole day and only gets 20 minutes of walking a day if he's lucky. If we can't rehome him, then we'll definitely find another home for him. His temperament is brilliant.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've seen GSDs good with everything and everyone, and GSDs that were super dog aggressive. It'll depend on the pup's personality and preferences! If he's a good natured pup who likes everyone and everything, then you'll just have to watch that he doesn't get too exuberant and run any smaller dog right over.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Terriers are usually pretty hyper, and if yours are, then they should get on well with a puppy. Since he's so young, there shouldn't be any problems, at least he could kind of "grow up" with them
If not, it shouldn't be too hard to find a home for a purebred GS, especially a puppy. Everyone wants the puppies..
Good luck!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Terriers are usually pretty hyper, and if yours are, then they should get on well with a puppy. Since he's so young, there shouldn't be any problems, at least he could kind of "grow up" with them
If not, it shouldn't be too hard to find a home for a purebred GS, especially a puppy. Everyone wants the puppies..
Good luck!
If a dog is destined to become dog aggressive, being raised together won't help. :( My grandmother had a boston terrier and a german shepherd, the sheherd raised with the adult boston terrier. The shepherd never really liked other dogs even as a puppy and would bully the boston. They tried to keep them in control, but ... When the shepherd hit adulthood and decided she hated all other dogs, the boston didn't get out of it alive. It really is NOT how you raise them, it depends on the dog's personality.

She was... not a normal german shepherd in many respects, now that we look back 15 years later.

But if this pup is already good natured and doesn't show signs of problems, there probably won't be issues!

·
Registered
502 Posts
It does really depend on the dog. I have 3 small dogs, and my roommate has 2 gsds. They live together just fine. I don't leave them unsupervised though because if there was a fight obviously mine would be on the losing end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts