Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a GSD from the human society, they said she was half husky, but she was only 5 months old and to me did look anything like a husky, i owned a half husky before and she acted nothing like one. now shes a year and two months old and looks like a GSD, but something else, like wolf, the way she acts when in the house (doesnt come in often) seems like a wolf how she stares at my mom, and me. and has thicker fur on her Hips, shoulders down to her knees/hocks, and chest. she is bigger then my year and a nine months old Lab/GSD male (gelded) who looked full male lab at six months, hes bigger then a lab. First is her when we got her and the second is yesterday. the third is a few months ago. Fourth is early this month. he mom is a GSD (at least half) dont know what dad was. is she a GSD or something mixed in?
2012-03-20_19.05.36.jpg

Phone 105.jpg

Phone 196.jpg

Phone 433.jpg

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ditto. I don't see any wolf for sure. Possibly husky mix. The thing with mixed breed dogs, you can't compare them as they will not look and act the same. She is a beautiful dog!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
That's all I see German Shepherd. I raised and Bred Huskies for many years, but don't see anything of them in her. Tail is GSD, not Husky.
Shepherds are pretty well focused on heir owner, so maybe that is why the stare.
You could do a Wisdom Panel Test to find out if there is a mix. Not 100% accurate.
Enjoy your Fur kid, and best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
You'll never really know for sure but I also only see GSD.
Doesn't look at all wolf. And staring is not a behavior specific to wolves. My four stare when they want something. They also stare/watch me from beds when working around the house. Even my cat and bunny stare from time to time.:p

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Your guy looks pretty well purebred GSD. I have a GSD mix and you can really tell that there are other things in her just by her shape, markings and fur. Your guy doesn't look like a mix :) I was told that mine was half Australian Shepherd at the shelter haha. And there is no way she is.

You look like you have gotten yourself a pretty cool dog!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I don't see wolf what so ever. 100% GSD
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
875 Posts
Looks like a pure breed to me, and I don't see the wolf at all. She could have some husky, but wolf hybrids (especially above 50%) have a lot of behavioral and physical differences that I'd think you'd notice.

I had my friend have a look (she's had two wolf hybrids, 50% and 75%) and she says that she doesn't see the wolf either.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Only see GSD

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay i had a wolf hybrid, but we had to put him down before her was a year and a half. so he still looked like a husky then anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I only see GSD, and what a pretty girl she is!

As for being wolfish in her staring, my GSD mix does that too - she stares at me with her head down and just FREEZES. I've always attributed to another herding breed, but it very well could be the GSD. I think Shepherds are very fixated on their humans, so she's probably just doing what she was bred to do.

And congrats on getting (what would appear to be) a purebred GSD! If you're still unsure about whether she's purebred or mixed, maybe try spending some time with some purebreds and see how she compares in temperament?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Looks like a GSD to me! It's very normal for them to have thick fur on the chest and hips...Be sure to pay extra attention to those areas when grooming because they are major shed zones.

As for the staring, that's a typical herding breed behavior :) GSD's and other herding breeds were bred to work very closely and intimately with people, and they are also visually oriented dogs. As a result, they tend to be very attentive and will watch their owners and people in general very closely. It's a little weird at first, but you get used to it! My border collie watches every move I make.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont know many people with GSDs, i had a chance and spent time with MNs top 5 GSD male a few years ago and his puppies and other GSD they were amazing he was so smooth and sweet, it was about 4 years ago and a lot has happened since then. im use to dogs that ignore me unless i have a treat or some things. and the only other dog that did was part wolf and did similar things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts