Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new and I am hoping to get some advice regarding my friend's nine year old Tenterfield Terrier (who now lives with me). My friend works FIFO so the dog spends only six days per month with his owner (I look after him) and he has had a lot of trouble adjusting to this over the past five months. His food is the same and he gets on well with my dog (a female lab x kelpie almost the same age) but he urinates inside (seems to be a marking territory thing?) and whimpers and cries a lot and shivers. He urinated on my bag and my curtains in my bedroom the other day and when I rushed over to pick him up and put him outside he growled and bit me and broke the skin on my fingers and hand.
I understand that he must miss his owner and that he wants to be inside but when I allow him in he just urinates on things constantly and growls and yaps at me. He gets on the couch and the beds and when his owner is home she just laughs about these behaviours, even though she is aware that my dog does not have those rights. She has always treated him as a lap dog and thinks it's funny when he is grumpy.
I have tried so hard to be good to this dog and I understand that he must feel upset about his owner going away but I have just about had it with the stains and smell and his personality and now this bite has really pushed me to the end of my tether!
He is definitely dominant (?) over my dog (sleeping in her bed and trying to eat her food) even though she is larger and it is her house, so I am guessing he thinks he is dominant (?) over me too?
Can someone please help me understand this grumpy old man of a dog because he is getting harder to deal with, let alone like, as the days go on...? Yes I have read the stickies and I am trying hard with the calming...
Thanks in advance,
:)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Have the owner take the dog to the vet. I suspect he has a UTI or some other malady causing his frequent urination.

His owner needs to find another situation for this dog. It isn't fair for a 9 year old lapdog to be suddenly relegated outside when he's used to being inside and having access to couches and beds. He's not grumpy, he's gone from a great situation to a terrible one and has essentially been abandoned by his owner. It's really inexcusable to expect you to deal with a dog that is either ill or needs housetraining, and to expect the dog to deal with being outside all the time.

Never, ever pick up a dog that you don't really know unless you absolutely must for reasons of safety. Being picked up is scary. Imagine if an elephant suddenly picked you up for no reason you could see, without warning. You'd probably start hitting and kicking the elephant to make it let you go.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
ditto on the vet visit, it sounds like he is in pain and/or have some medical issue causing the urination. as far as the dog being dominate, not likely... sounds more like he is really insecure and probably not feeling well. as far as the bite, as was said, don't pick him up. not only is that scary for a dog, it can also be that he is in pain, and picking him up only makes it worse. the fact that his owner finds his behavior amusing is a bit disturbing and leads me to believe that this has been going on for some time?

if you are going to continue to watch this dog for the owner, i would insist on a clean bill of health from a vet, reimbursement for cleaning up after him and i would highly recommend a belly band.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vet visit, could be UTI, renal issues, or thyroid issues causing the urination, grouchiness etc.

Also, he's has his own house rules and will not suddenly know yours unfortunately. So if you keep watching him for her you'll have to start out with limited access to things and scheduled everything until he gets it. We have somewhat of a similar issue with my mom's shih tzu. Takes a day or 2 every time he has to stay with us to relearn our routine and rules. Luckily he's not grouchy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.