Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JRT. She loves people but I have 2 other dogs and 2 cats. It was a miracle that we finally got her to accept the cats. She is dog aggressive. She gets near the dog food and guards it from the other dogs growling at them and even the cats if they come near. She even growls at us sometimes but not sure what that's all about. She has snapped at my wife a week or so ago.
We have a small toy rat terrier and she growls at her sometimes too. The JRT is 12 years old and has been with me all her life. My wife hates her and I really can't blame her. I'de like to find out a solution to all of this. If we can't, we will have to do something about her. I think she would do well in a home without other pets but I hate to get rid of her if there is something I can do to change her. Any ideas anyone? anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
manage manage manage. Most of dealing with DA (dog aggression) is keeping the dogs away from each other....crating them and rotating them...feeding them separate etc...don't put them in situations that will result in fights.

I question if your JRT is truely DA...if she was its likely you'd have dead dogs by now...DA JRTs will not flinch at killing another dog very quickly...so in my opinion you have dogs what simply need more space (for now) and better training to tolerate each other better.

If you give specific, detailed examples of their issues... one at a time ...the forum can likely help...

but if you are at a point of thinking to rehoming one of the dogs I recomend hiring a behaviorist to come out and access your situation.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have a JRT. She loves people but I have 2 other dogs and 2 cats. It was a miracle that we finally got her to accept the cats. She is dog aggressive. She gets near the dog food and guards it from the other dogs growling at them and even the cats if they come near. She even growls at us sometimes but not sure what that's all about. She has snapped at my wife a week or so ago.
We have a small toy rat terrier and she growls at her sometimes too. The JRT is 12 years old and has been with me all her life. My wife hates her and I really can't blame her. I'de like to find out a solution to all of this. If we can't, we will have to do something about her. I think she would do well in a home without other pets but I hate to get rid of her if there is something I can do to change her. Any ideas anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Has her aggression been present all her life? Or is this something that just came up? I have heard a lot of ideas that "aggression" with age can be due to health issues. Has she been to a vet for an exam within the last year? One of my chihuahuas and my lab/border collie mix are food aggressive... we just keep their food up unless they are eating and when they eat they are crated separate from the others.

Also is your wife pregnant by chance? My sister had a white schnauzer for years and when she got pregnant he turned on her for some reason as well as her husband. I think a professional trainer can really help you as Crio suggested. If this is how the dog has been and it is not recent, then keeping her separate may be best for her. Re-homing a pet with these issues sometimes is only harder on the dog. I do not think it sounds serious enough to consider that :) GL and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts