Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently noticed that on the bottom of my sister's dog's paw, he has some type of growth or callous on one of his pads. At first I thought it was a callous, but then i researched and figured it could possibly be what is called a Corn. I'm worried and I am wondering if anyone here knew about these. It is very hard to the touch unlike his other pads or paws and when I try to touch it pulls away.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Never heard of it in dogs (but that doesn't mean anything :D ), but I have one really painful corn. So if he experiences pain when you try to touch it, my best bet would be it's a corn.
Better get him to the vet, because walking with these is really not a pleasure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If your vet confirms that it is a corn here is a link to a greyhound rescue. Steel City Greyhounds › downloads › corn The vet I work for is an avid greyhound lover. We are very familiar with this rescue. Hope this helps.WE MAY HAVE FOUND A WAY TO RELIEVE CORNS ON YOUR GREYHOUND
Subject: Kizzy's Corn(s) Testimonial
I've had Kizzy for almost 8 years, and I can't imagine having a better dog. Since day one, he's been my
constant companion; we've been active in Meet & Greets and ARF Play dates. I walked him daily, we
visited friends, and we even hiked together. Mr. Kizmitti had always been in perfect health, and other
than having half a dozen surgeries for torn webbing between his toes, and the usual teeth cleaning, he
pretty much managed to stay out of the vet's office.
A little over a year ago, he began limping. With much concern (please don't let it be cancer, please don't
let it be cancer), I brought him to our vet (Dr. Bjork), who examined him, took an x-ray, and didn't find
anything. Kizzy's limping became worse, so back to Dr. B we went. This time, the diagnosis was Corns. I
had once thought Greyhound Corns to be trivial, but I quickly learned they are not. What began as 1 Corn
on 1 paw, escalated within months to 2 Corns on 2 paws; both front paws were involved. Poor Kizz was
miserable. He could no longer go on walks, his feet hurt too much. I tried TheraPaws, he wouldn't wear
them. Let me tell you, I'm no softy, I've worked with dogs all my life, and Kizzy would not wear the
booties.
My former food hound lost his appetite, and began growling at everybody. He no longer played, and
because he had no traction in front, he began falling off our deck and was unable to get in/out of the car.
For several months, I'd been having his corns hulled every 3 weeks, and that almost didn't help at all, and
they grew right back. Dr. B said they were the worst corns he'd seen, because Kizzy had so many and they
came back so quickly. I did tons of research, and there was no cure for Greyhound corns. None. I couldn't
just give up, so I tried various home remedies, none of which offered any relief. My beloved Kizzy grew
even worse, he was a cripple, and the joyful life he'd once had was gone. I talked to Dr. B about our
options, each of which were very surgically invasive, painful, and required a long recuperation period with
no guarantee the Corns wouldn't come back, or that he wouldn't get more.
Kizzy is 10, I figure he has 2 or 3 really good years left, and I didn't want him to spend a good part of that
recuperating from major surgery. I began to think that I would have to put my beloved Kizzy down. He had
no quality of life, but it was tragic that other than the corns, he was perfectly healthy. My heart was heavy
with the thought of having to make that decision. The worst time was when I brought Kizzer in for his
regular 3-week hulling, and we found a new Corn on a new foot. The left hind foot. Now my Kizzy had
both front paws and a hind paw involved, with no end in sight. I was in tears when I left the office; all I
could think was about was that my boy was doomed.
Later that day, I was in a client's back yard throwing a ball for her Border collie, and my phone rang. It was
Stu, and because I was crying when I answered it, I could hardly hear Stu when he shouted that "someone
in Pennsylvania has invented a cure for Greyhound Corns". I kept saying "what what"? When I finally
understood what he was saying, it was so unbelievable to me, that my boy, my long time friend and
companion, might have a 2nd chance! Thank you greytly to Chris Terry for finding out about this
incredibly revolutionary product, and passing it on to Stu.
Here's the story: A woman who owns a Rescued Greyhound who had Corns, walked into a compounding
pharmacy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to see if they could come up with something to help her dogs'
corns. The Pharmacist, who is the nicest woman and loves her job, did a little research, and developed a 2
step treatment that is safe, non-toxic, and non-invasive, according to Susan Merenstein, the Pharmacist
who developed it, this treatment has a 74-79% cure rate. The amount of time it takes to work depends on
how long they've had them/how severe your Greyhounds' Corns are. The range so far is from under a
week, to more than 4 months. I am ecstatically happy to report that, 13 weeks after starting this treatment, Kizzy's Corns are almost
cured! The treatment is a 2 step process, and must be done twice daily. It takes about 50 minutes each
time, and you must do it religiously, otherwise it won't work. In the 1st step, you soak the afflicted paw in
a mixture of olive oil and water for 20 minutes. As an alternative, you can use a lubricant the developing
pharmacy carries. After trying the olive oil/water with Kizzy once, I quickly decided this was not going to
work for us. It was really messy! I ordered the lubricant, and I was much happier. You put the lubricant on
the Corn(s), put that paw in a plastic bag, put a bootie over that, and keep those on for 20 minutes. Then,
you remove those, massage their "Corn and Callous Cream" into the Corn until it changes color from
white to clear-ish, then bag/bootie again for another 20 minutes, and you're done with that treatment.
The treatment works by drawing out the Corn, then going up into the stem and killing the virus that
causes it. Once the Corn is gone, you begin "maintenance", which is between 1-5 treatments a week for
life. Kizzy began the treatments with 6 corns on 3 feet. He gained 2 corns, and lost 3. He still has 5 left, but
those are shrinking fast. It may not sound like he's almost cured, but at 13 weeks, Kizzy no longer limps.
His appetite has returned, we're taking him for short walks, and the best part is, he's enjoying life again!
He's happy and animated, he's once again playing with his squeaky toys and he's back to spinning! At play
dates, he trots around greeting people and checking out the other greyts, instead of laying down and
grouching at the dogs who get too close. He's back to feeling like his old self, and although I believe
eventually all his Corns will fall out, even if they never get any better than this, I got my dog back. He feels
greyt and that's our success!
Susan, the inventor of this treatment, is in talks with a Vet at Iowa University to develop real clinical trials
for this, and hopefully one day, Greyhounds all over the world will have her to thank for curing their
painful Corns. I highly recommend this product and am happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to
call me at: 925-609-9134, or email me directly at: [email protected].
Always,
Kris and her ever-faithful Kizzy
Susan Merenstein, Pharmacist/Owner
Murray Avenue Apothecary
A Compounding and Wellness Pharmacy
Pittsburgh's ONLY Green Pharmacy
4227 Murray Avenue, Pittsburgh Pa. 15217
412-421-4996/fax 412-421-6500
www.murrayavenuerx.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts