Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very calm and friendly Yorkshire terrier. But lately he's been doing this thing.

Ever since I started having longer hours at university whenever I arrive and meet him at home or in the car he growls in a low voice, staying still and stares at me but never takes a step to attack. It's always a contained growl.

At first we thought it was because I arrive in the car and sit in the seat he'd be in. But soon after he did that when I arrived home and he'd come up to meet me at the door and have the same reaction for a bit.

It normally stops after I give him a proper pet and scratch his back a bit. Or after 20 mins of me being at home.

I don't understand why he would be doing this and was hoping someone would have any advice or help regarding the matter.

·
Super Moderator
4,454 Posts
I can't get anything from your post that might explain the reason. However I do want to say that the growl is an important communication signal. Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; that would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Will keep it in mind and try to take note although I wish I could know how to tackle it and fix what's bothering him.

We try our best to take note of the signs and normally he's quite happy and relaxed which is why this is quite confusing.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts