Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally feed our dogs wet foods, and rotate between a locally made 'stew' THK, and less frequently a homemade meat & veggie stew.

I've noticed their stools are much bulkier and more frequent when they're eating THK, which surprised me, as I thought it would have less filler in it.

Anyways, I make a lot of bone broth (which they LOVE), usually throw out the bones after. This time, the chicken bones were so cooked down that they crumbled in my fingers, so I crumbled them up and threw them and some broth into the food processor for some 'bone pate'*.

Yesterday I added about a tablespoon to both their meals, same today. But this afternoon I was surprised at what came out - their stools were very chunky and the consistency of chalk. I've heard that stools after eating bones can be a lot like this so haven't been too concerned.

However I'm now wondering, how much 'pate' is too much? They love the stuff and if it adds some nutrition and joy, I'm happy to give it, but don't want to overdo it. They're 9 and 12 pounds - any suggestion as to what might be too much, if that's possible?

*note: the bones are super soft and there's absolutely nothing sharp or large in them

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Poops will dry white and chalky when the dog has had considerable bone. If poops actually come out white and chalky from the chute, that's way too much bone. That shouldn't happen.

However, I know the bone was ground to a pulp (or so it sounds) so I guess they are "safe", but boiling for that long would remove virtually all nutrition from them, and they are probably useless. If you want to feed bone, I would feed raw uncooked bones. that way you are getting all the needed benefits from teeth cleaning, and mental stimulation, to the vital nutrients that are lost otherwise.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Poops will dry white and chalky when the dog has had considerable bone. If poops actually come out white and chalky from the chute, that's way too much bone. That shouldn't happen.

However, I know the bone was ground to a pulp (or so it sounds) so I guess they are "safe", but boiling for that long would remove virtually all nutrition from them, and they are probably useless. If you want to feed bone, I would feed raw uncooked bones. that way you are getting all the needed benefits from teeth cleaning, and mental stimulation, to the vital nutrients that are lost otherwise.
I was going to say the same thing, I agree completely.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They weren't white, just a different texture. I know they aren't getting a tonne of nutrition from them, but I figured there would be some from the bone and/or marrow inside - mostly it was as a taste-treat. I've got some frozen chicken necks I'd love to give them but might rather wait until it's warmer and they can eat them on the patio, as I've heard it can get messy. "

Today we knocked it down to a teaspoon between them instead of a tablespoon, but they felt that wasn't quite enough. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts