Dog Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm with tonka for training methods.

What are you feeding the dog as it's main diet? This could actually have something to do with it, since many dogs will get into the poop eating habit because they are trying to get what they need by eating the poop and getting the nutrients they lost. This doesn't really sound like that's the problem, but it could be.

As for eating poo on walks, teaching leave it would be helpful:
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=AU#/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
As many of you may know, my dog loves to eat poop.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to keep that awful stench away? I am willing to try home made treats and maybe even a toothbrush if that is the best solution.
You can add chopped parsley to his food it kills strong oder. Chop about a teaspoon and add to every meal.
What food do you feed. Some foods don't have enough nutrition in them so dogs will eat pooh trying to get it that way.
If you are already feeding a nutritional food then add yogurt or keefer to each meal. It helps them break down and absorb the nutrition from the food.
If you look up the packaged things that are supposed to stop pooh eating you will find a lot of bad ingredients an then some better ones that are mostly parsley and yogurt enzymes. Keefer is a liquid yogurt that is fermented and has more active cultures then yogurt.
• Lactobacillius Lactis
• Lactobacillus Rhamnosus
• Streptococcus Diacetylactis
• Lactobacillus Plantarum
• Lactobacillius Casei
• Saccharomyces Florentinus
• Leuconostoc Cremoris
• Bifidobacterium Longum
• Bifidobacterium Breve
• Lactobacillus Acidophilus
• Bifidobacterium lactis
• Lactobacillus reuteri
Customer Service, FAQ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, it's been way to long since I came back to this thread! He has been doing this since I got him in September. He is on Blue Buffalo, so according to what I have read, nutrition shouldn't be the issue.

As to controlling him on a leash, there is no way in hell I'm going to pull/tug/yank on a leash that is connected to my dogs neck. The purpose of the walk is so that he can get out an experience a bit of the world rather than just my back yard. He trots along next to me with his nose in the dirt the whole time. When he comes across poop, he snatches it up. Since I don't really want to touch it, i'm not reaching in his mouth to torture him and pull it out.

I have recently been working on "Drop it" and it works fine with toys, but I guess poo is something way more valuable to him. For now, I'll try some of the method mentioned in these posts.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I have to follow my dogs around to get them the second they finish pooping its hard when our 2 small are out at the same time and they both do it. Thankfully our 3rd doesn't,. Tried everything vet or pet owners suggested, the pumpkin, pineapple, msg, Dis-Taste, cayenne on the poop....nothing. I don't know if mint flavored people toothpaste is ok. Chopped parsley in cheese or peanut butter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not very helpful, but our dog loves to eat cat poop, he sniffs it all out on walks...we just let him eat it as we coax him to walk past :rolleyes: And then laugh hysterically when one of us is sat on the floor back at home and he comes up panting in our faces!! :D

He likes horse poop too, but not dogs' or cows'. Complex character :p

Good luck with it!

Red
my dog eats any poop she can get. Cat, dog, deer. I can get the cat poop but I don't walk her as I have a huge fenced yard. I can't always get to it, because I have trouble walking. The vet said to get her teeth cleaned. At $600, and having to give her anesthesia, that's not an option. Help!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts