Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may know, my dog loves to eat poop. As disgusting as it is to witness (if he gets it before i can stop him) it is ever worse to smell it on his breath. I need something (like a treat) that will clean his teeth of poop and kill the poop breath. I try to pick up his poop from my yard, but he is out there all day while I am at work and he is very quick to pick up poop on our two daily walks. It seems like no one else in my neighborhood picks up after their dog. :mad:

I just bought a bag of Nylabone Nutri Dent treats for him. They seem to work, but I only get 8 for 10 bucks, since he is getting the medium sized ones.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to keep that awful stench away? I am willing to try home made treats and maybe even a toothbrush if that is the best solution.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
he is very quick to pick up poop on our two daily walks. It seems like no one else in my neighborhood picks up after their dog. :mad:
You should try having him carry a special "outside" toy with him on walks-- something he LOVES but only gets when you go outside. Doing this cured Holly of her poop-eating tendencies. She'd even grab sticks (much to my dismay) instead of poop.

No real advice about cleaning out the mouth unless you just brush his teeth afterward.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Oh Dear! Sounds like his habit is quite ingrained already. Some dogs just LOVE poop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have always brushed my dogs teeth with the Mint toothpaste. The chicken stuff stinks and I don't like it. But a quick brush is like a treat to them and it keeps their teeth nice and clean.

Seriously, Halogen (service animal) loved it so much I would take her to all the Kindergarten and Pre-K classes during Dental week to show them how to brush teeth.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not very helpful, but our dog loves to eat cat poop, he sniffs it all out on walks...we just let him eat it as we coax him to walk past :rolleyes: And then laugh hysterically when one of us is sat on the floor back at home and he comes up panting in our faces!! :D

He likes horse poop too, but not dogs' or cows'. Complex character :p

Good luck with it!

Red

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. He really LOVES squeak toys, so I'll try letting him take one with him next time. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to brush his teeth. I've never brushed a dogs teeth before, so it's new experience time!

Red, my dog loves horse poop, but only to roll in. I found this out last weekend while on a hiking/biking/riding trail where I let him off leash. Needless to say, it was bath time when we got home. :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yep mine are horse poo eaters here, cow poo as well but not dog. Jo went thru a phase where she was doing that but after a few times of leaving the poo (on purpose) & spraying something called "wrap last" which is a super strong pepper spray that we use to keep horses from messing with their bandages when we wrap their legs & such she left it alone lol. Also there are things that you can feed to your dog that are supposed to stop poo eating (at leat their own or their own species anyway lol) pumpkin is one of them (not the pie filling) or pineapple. There are also supplements that are supposed to prevent it, what food are you feeding? Sometimes crAppy food can also encourage poo eating Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings is a great place to get info on the foods out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have heard of the pineapple and the
Pumpkin as well. I also read that Dis-Taste is a good product to use but can't remember if you feed it to the dog or spray it on poop.

Over the weekend, I read an article on positive dog training and it recommended exercise. I am guessing this is based on the theory of dogs eat poo out of boredom.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
439 Posts
My dog loooOOOves rabbit poop. When I clean out the rabbits litter boxes, he always tries to get a few strays. He likes to eat their hay too (stupid dog - I can hear it crunch in his teeth). But the rabbit poop is like crack for him when he gets one - good thing it doesn't smell and it's all fluff!
Not sure how to get rid of poop breath but for bad breath, is it possible that chewing action helps with the bad breath? My dog chews lots of stuff - mostly his toys but his breath smells like hot air - no smell. My MIL's dog chews nothing all day and his breath smells baaaad.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Chewing can help, they also make a spray that is supposed to get rid of it, it's called plaque blast or something like that.

·
Banned
106 Posts
As many of you may know, my dog loves to eat poop. As disgusting as it is to witness (if he gets it before i can stop him) it is ever worse to smell it on his breath. I need something (like a treat) that will clean his teeth of poop and kill the poop breath. I try to pick up his poop from my yard, but he is out there all day while I am at work and he is very quick to pick up poop on our two daily walks. It seems like no one else in my neighborhood picks up after their dog. :mad:

I just bought a bag of Nylabone Nutri Dent treats for him. They seem to work, but I only get 8 for 10 bucks, since he is getting the medium sized ones.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to keep that awful stench away? I am willing to try home made treats and maybe even a toothbrush if that is the best solution.

If you are taking him on a walk and he is on a leash - How is is possible that he can be allowed to eat it? Do you not see him going for it and tug on the leash to stop him? :confused:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
When my dog was a puppy she use to eat her own poop, but we stopped that by banging on the window (we use to let her go on the deck) every time she went to sniff it and open her mouth. And some times we'd open up the window and yell at her, and she would jump!

The toy idea is a great idea!! When i bring a toy with us for walks, Cassy get's a bust of energy. And as far as the bad breath, brushing your dogs teeth, well, it's kind of fun! Mint or vanilla flavor should be good. :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If you are taking him on a walk and he is on a leash - How is is possible that he can be allowed to eat it? Do you not see him going for it and tug on the leash to stop him? :confused:

Not quite sure how you don't understand how this is possible... unless your dogs just aren't quick enough to grab the poop... ? Especially when you use the long flexi-leads as posted in another thread... ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
My girl was a poop eater but she suddenly stop after she turn a yr. She will eat the crushed pineapple poo too :eek:

Daily teeth brushing is always a plus. After brushing I use kids mouthwash on a hand towel and clean the inside of their mouth.

If the toy doesn't work find a really loud object you can rattle or honk to startle him.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Not quite sure how you don't understand how this is possible... unless your dogs just aren't quick enough to grab the poop... ? Especially when you use the long flexi-leads as posted in another thread... ?
It is simple if you are actually WATCHING your dog while out on walks... You simply push the button to stop them if they don't respond to a verbal command... :rolleyes:

Seriously, You don't pay attention to where your dog is walking and putting their face when they are on walks? :confused:

The really sad part is that this is only ONE dog on a walk here. How is it not possible to control a single dog on a walk if he has a leash on? LOL! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Yup, it's just that simple... :eyeroll:

I'm sorry that you just simply can't picture it. But, you must at least accept it as fact that it is actually a common issue.

To the OP- try the toy thing... I think you may be surprised :thumbsup:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Yup, it's just that simple... :eyeroll:

I'm sorry that you just simply can't picture it. But, you must at least accept it as fact that it is actually a common issue.

To the OP- try the toy thing... I think you may be surprised :thumbsup:
Only common for people that have NOT been properly instructed how to fit a collar on a dog and use their leash... :thumbsup:

You will NOT see handlers at dog shows or competitions waving a 'toy' at their dog if it is trying to eat another dogs poop. I wonder why not? LOL! :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Only common for people that have NOT been properly instructed how to fit a collar on a dog and use their leash... :thumbsup:

You will NOT see handlers at dog shows or competitions waving a 'toy' at their dog if it is trying to eat another dogs poop. I wonder why not? LOL! :)

Clearly you do not actually read what people write, just pick things out to be argumentative about based on this post.

I'm sorry, it's not a perfect world. We all do our best and I'm sure none of our pets are any worse off for it.

Have a good night. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ok guys! It's time to drop it!;)
Arguing is not going to help the OP.
From this point forward please keep all posts on point and constructive!:)

Remember the forum rules!
In particular:
1) Be nice. If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, please don't post.
Even if you disagree with another member, you can express your opinion in a way that won't cause hard feelings. Please do so. If somebody doesn't follow this rule and is mean or insulting, please notify a moderator and the moderator will address the issue.
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-forum-announcements/dogforum-com-rules-1606/
Also a reminder about tone:
Tone of Posts:
We strive to keep dog forum a friendly and helpful place. Members will not always agree with you, as you will not always agree with them. Expressing opinons is fine, but please keep your posts friendly and polite.

Remember it is hard to interpret the tone when working with the written words so use your emoticons when you need to!

We do not allow 'flaming', fighting, rudeness or name calling. Keep it friendly!

Should you have any concerns with threads or members please alert the dog forum team by clicking on "report post' function in the post (it is the exclamation icon under their name) it will send an alert to the Dog Forum team and allow you to add a message. Or you can Private Message a member of the Team as well.
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-forum-announcements/new-dog-forum-please-read-2440/

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would caution the OP against this method - depending on what else is going on, you may very well create a behavioral problem by doing this.

When my dog was a puppy she use to eat her own poop, but we stopped that by banging on the window (we use to let her go on the deck) every time she went to sniff it and open her mouth. And some times we'd open up the window and yell at her, and she would jump!

The toy idea is a great idea!! When i bring a toy with us for walks, Cassy get's a bust of energy. And as far as the bad breath, brushing your dogs teeth, well, it's kind of fun! Mint or vanilla flavor should be good. :)
Again - same idea here. You want to redirect in a positive manner, not startle or yell. Enough repetition and you're liable to create additional behavioral problems, far greater than the original issue.

My girl was a poop eater but she suddenly stop after she turn a yr. She will eat the crushed pineapple poo too :eek:

Daily teeth brushing is always a plus. After brushing I use kids mouthwash on a hand towel and clean the inside of their mouth.

If the toy doesn't work find a really loud object you can rattle or honk to startle him.
One more time, for posterity's sake - try to redirect your dog to a different behavior in a positive manner, rather than startling or scaring him. This can inadvertently cause more troublesome behavior issues in the long-run.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts