Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided I want to start a journal so I can look back and recognize if/when I have made progress is training Groot.
Groot is 4 months 1 Day old and we just finished with his puppy vaccinations a week ago so he is good to go outside now.

He knows to come when his name is called, but he has no consistent experience being on a leash yet. Furthermore, we've been using puppy pads inside and I know it is going to be difficult and I have a long hard road ahead, but it is time to house train him.

So loose leash walking and house training.

Here we go!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I took Groot out to our little courtyard today for the first time. I was using the third method explained in this post: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/loose-leash-walking-1683/#post10901

Groot was really excited to be outside and just wanted to sniff and explore. I let him do some of that, but made sure I put down a treat for him every time he came to my side. We were out there for about 15 minutes, which I understand is a good little block of time for training.

The first couple times I put a treat down for him, it was after I called him to me. After 3 or 4 calls, he started coming to my side knowing something tasty might be waiting for him in between bouts of exploration of course.

I led him back to our front door and got him to hop up by placing a treat by my heel as I did outside.

I think for a first time we did pretty good. He is so excited to be out there I think it will take some time to get him really focused on walking beside me, but I am excited.

We might give it another quick go this evening just to keep it fresh in his mind. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts