Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a corgi who is about a year old and he’s absolutely terrified of the brush. He tucks his butt and runs whenever we bring it out to brush our other dog and will bark and run away if we attempt to brush him. Recently, his winter coat is shedding and my mother and I have been trying to pull the loose tufts off of him with our hands, but he’s even more scared of that! He pins his ears and runs away and won’t approach whoever was grooming him.

Is there any way to assure him that we are not hurting him and this is helping him? Is there a reason for this behavior?! Please help :(

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Are you sure first that you aren't hurting him? He might have highly sensitive skin.

Then, take it really, really slowly. With one person holding something he can lick, like a tube of squeezy cheese, let him lick teeny amounts while the other person does literally one brush stroke.

Aim for two strokes later that day.

And so on - but if he freaks, you have gone too fast and that will undo any progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try this! We hadn’t thought about him having sensitive skin because he loves getting scratches from people, but this is something we will absolutely consider. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
I should also have said, check what brush you use.

My dog hates the slicker, but is fine with a pinhead that has the little protective blobs on the pins (I wonder what that's actually called ...:unsure:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts