Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I know Yorkie's don't shed and stuff but I have a few questions.

My best puppy ever Izzy (3 mo) hair is growing longer and he is becoming a bit shaggier. Now I think he looks so cute with his shaggy hair but I'm not so sure if it's good for him. I try to brush him but he prefers to run off.

Any tips on how to get him to sit still so I can get his fur to look nice?

Also, how often should (if I should even start at this age) should I get him groomed professionally? His hair I know will get longer and I heard they have to get the hair between their paws cut. I'm just unsure. Also, how often should I bathe him. He's had 2 baths since I got him and 1 accidental (he got poop on him :eek: )

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
put him on a table with a leash attached so he cant run off. have a big thing of treats he loves, but only gets during grooming. no other time. make it a fun time to be brushed.

he will probably scream, cry and bite at it. dont stop. by doing so you let him win

find a groomers now, and get him in ASAP for a puppy intro, so he can see and hear the grooming process but wont get a hair cut, so it wont be such a lengthy time frame.

puppies who are started off early at grooming shops do so much better then 9 month old puppies coming in matted and needing to get cut very very short is much more stressfull on them

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
put him on a table with a leash attached so he cant run off. have a big thing of treats he loves, but only gets during grooming. no other time. make it a fun time to be brushed.

he will probably scream, cry and bite at it. dont stop. by doing so you let him win

find a groomers now, and get him in ASAP for a puppy intro, so he can see and hear the grooming process but wont get a hair cut, so it wont be such a lengthy time frame.

puppies who are started off early at grooming shops do so much better then 9 month old puppies coming in matted and needing to get cut very very short is much more stressfull on them
True that, after i got Jessie knowing she is long haired before her first full groom we dropped by 3 times to talk to the groomer and so jessie would be ok when getting full groom, it sure paid off as the groomer managed to do a full groom on Jessie and go short, only thing she wasnt keen on was touching front paws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Izzy is great with people. He's a little ham and loves attention. He doesn't care when someone touches his paws or ears. I rub them all the time. I just worry his claws may be too long and that he could be in pain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am a groomer. The SOONER you get to a groomer, the better it is for the groomer AND the dog. Also, DO NOT forget to brush between grooms!! Yorkies hair will tangle and mat easily. A slicker brush might be too rough on his skin right now, but a pin brush and comb will work great. Start small. Just brush for a few minutes at a time with him in your lap.Do it often and make it a positive experience. Also, please make sure that whichever groomer you choose, make sure that they do NOT trim down the bridge of the nose. It will never grow back right and the hair will always grow in funky. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I am a groomer. The SOONER you get to a groomer, the better it is for the groomer AND the dog. Also, DO NOT forget to brush between grooms!! Yorkies hair will tangle and mat easily. A slicker brush might be too rough on his skin right now, but a pin brush and comb will work great. Start small. Just brush for a few minutes at a time with him in your lap.Do it often and make it a positive experience. Also, please make sure that whichever groomer you choose, make sure that they do NOT trim down the bridge of the nose. It will never grow back right and the hair will always grow in funky. Good Luck!!
This is GOOD advice! I have a mini poodle in in a modified continental clip and she has to be brushed every single day and bathed once a week! My niece has a yorkie and it also gets bathed once a week .... always use a detangler/conditioner and always brush your dog BEFORE you bathe it as tangle/mats get worse when wet! DO use a pin brush (and a comb to 'check' your work!)
Continue to handle all parts of your dog too... rub paws , stroke face, run your hand down tail, look into ears etc... this helps prepare him for grooming without stress! The sooner he starts going to the groomer the easier it is for everybody! My dog loves her groomer, and runs straight to the back of the grooming area of the shop, looking for her!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
This is GOOD advice! I have a mini poodle in in a modified continental clip and she has to be brushed every single day and bathed once a week! My niece has a yorkie and it also gets bathed once a week .... always use a detangler/conditioner and always brush your dog BEFORE you bathe it as tangle/mats get worse when wet! DO use a pin brush (and a comb to 'check' your work!)
Continue to handle all parts of your dog too... rub paws , stroke face, run your hand down tail, look into ears etc... this helps prepare him for grooming without stress! The sooner he starts going to the groomer the easier it is for everybody! My dog loves her groomer, and runs straight to the back of the grooming area of the shop, looking for her!:thumbsup:
weekly baths? im thankful Jessie is once a month!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everybody has offered you good advice. :)

It is best to introduce a puppy to the grooming environment as soon as possible (provided all jabs etc are up to date), even if it is just popping in to say hello and get used to all of the noises! If it is part of your pups routine from a young age, they find grooming trips less stressful later in life.

Many grooming salons provide a "puppy package" which is a gentle introduction to grooming.. A bath & brush, fluff dry, ear clean and nail clip if required, taken very slowly under no pressure, teaching the puppies to feel relaxed from the start!

It is important that you practice brushing at home, perseverance and patience is key, and not giving up at the first hurdle. That way it is not a completely alien experience when in the hands of a stranger (the groomer), and will enable their job to be easier, and stress free for your puppy.

xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts