Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to groom a Basset Hound? Do they need their coat clipped at all? How would you groom them for show? I'm just curious about this since I have a Basset. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks! So they don't need to be trimmed in a certain way? That sounds a lot easier than I was expecting! Whew! Glad to hear that! Thanks @Dawnben!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bassets have a short single layer coat, no clipping needed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Bath as needed and them dry. Any comb or bush for a short coat will work fine. I rarely need to to do either though. Shorty gets two to three baths a year and a few bushings in between.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
if you really want to brush the bassett you can use the KONG ZoomGroom. it works amazing. Make sure you brush them outside or you will have a lot of hair to clean up inside! I have two hounds with the same type of coat. You can also use the brush during baths too when rinsing the dog off if shedding is a real issue for you.

Also make sure you keep up with the bassets ears. Use a good cleaner, I use Epi-Otic ear cleaner, my vet approved it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks guys! Lucy gets a bath every few months. I have a curry comb sort thing for her that a pet store employee reccomended. I know that they aren't always the best refrences but it was only five bucks so we figured that we would try it. I will definetely be on the look out for that brush that @aclarino suggested! Thanks a ton guys!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Also depending on how wrinkly your dog's skin is, you sometimes have to clean out between the folds to avoid build up of bacteria. If your dog is in the avatar she doesn't look as melty faced as some other Bassets but it's something to consider. And I don't know what other breeds (if any) you've ever had but the majority of dogs don't need to be clipped. Bassets tend to have a very dandery, oily hound dog coat that can get smelly though. Their ears can smell as well, but if you keep them clean it shouldn't be a problem. Excessive odor from the ears, armpits and paws can point to ear and yeast infections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts