Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m not sure if you’ve all heard this one before lol, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeated question
My border collie mix went to the groomer today and somehow she misunderstood completely and shaved my boy down extremely short. I’m slightly devastated lol, but mostly because I’m concerned his fur won’t grow back properly, and he will have issues regulating body temperature or other health problems as he is almost 9 years old. His fur is quite long naturally, and I knew beforehand that double coat dogs should not be shaved so this was a total mistake and I feel terrible lol. I’m not sure what to do 😞 any advice? TIA

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Have you been combing the undercoat out? I'm not sure about collies, but my pup has a double coat and 1 shave down won't do too much damage especially if your collie already had a full overcoat.

I hand strip my pup, don't know if it's same for collies, but once he grows his wire hair, and as long as I card his undercoat out, I would think it would grow back well.

I would be combing the undercoat every few days until he gets some fur growth. I use a stripping knife to comb it away.

· Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
308 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m not sure if you’ve all heard this one before lol, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeated question
My border collie mix went to the groomer today and somehow she misunderstood completely and shaved my boy down extremely short. I’m slightly devastated lol, but mostly because I’m concerned his fur won’t grow back properly, and he will have issues regulating body temperature or other health problems as he is almost 9 years old. His fur is quite long naturally, and I knew beforehand that double coat dogs should not be shaved so this was a total mistake and I feel terrible lol. I’m not sure what to do 😞 any advice? TIA
This happened with our dog (because when she was rescued, she had mats). (she's a BC mix, but the groomer says her coat is a BC coat) It took about a year to grow back properly- at first it took a long time (and grew sticking straight out) , then, when it did grow more, it had downy, frizzy, fluffy, fuzzy fur mixed in with her hair- she looked very odd. But with a lot of oatmeal shampoo (lol) and patience, she eventually grew it back to normal. (I've heard things like eggs and coconut oil help, or you may want to buy a hair supplement for a little while).

Generally, if it's a one-time thing, it won't have any lasting affects. Depending on the weather where you live, you may need to buy a winter coat and/or cooling vest in the meantime.

· Registered
2 Posts
Don't worry, your dog's coat will grow back and be thicker than it was before. I believe that groomers are professionals , and if she cut your dog's hair so short, then there is no need to worry about it not growing back. I am sure that groomers know all types of pets that need to be taken care of, the peculiarities of hair and skin of individual breeds, all the features of each breed, methods of treatment of the eyes and ears of animals;ways to deal with external parasites nail trimming technique. Otherwise, I do not think they would work in this field.

· Registered
2,321 Posts
Don't worry, your dog's coat will grow back and be thicker than it was before. I believe that groomers are professionals , and if she cut your dog's hair so short, then there is no need to worry about it not growing back. I am sure that groomers know all types of pets that need to be taken care of, the peculiarities of hair and skin of individual breeds, all the features of each breed, methods of treatment of the eyes and ears of animals;ways to deal with external parasites nail trimming technique. Otherwise, I do not think they would work in this field.
Sorry, but I absolutely disagree with this. Not all groomers are at the same level of professionalism or expertise. This one ignored the instructions given, and did exactly what was requested NOT to be done. That, in itself, indicates the groomer was either not listening (a huge flaw) or didn't care what the owner wanted (even worse).

Groomers definitely do not know "all types of pets that need to be taken care of, the peculiarities of hair and skin of individual breeds, all the features of each breed, ". Many of them are ignorant about certain breeds and what they need, especially if they have not been trained on that breed or do not have a lot of experience. Some of them think they know better than the owner and will simply ignore instructions, which is very unprofessional.
You cannot trust all groomers to know what they are doing, not by a long shot. A lot of people work in this field without knowing all that they should.
Heck, you cannot trust all veterinarians, let alone all groomers!

I have heard and seen many horror stories of what happens to dogs in the hands of a groomer who either didn't care or didn't know what they were doing, including the (not common, thankfully) death of the dog.

You cannot know that the dog's hair will grow back and be thicker than it was before. In this breed, it often will ruin the coat to be shaved. In this particular case it may grow back OK and it may not. Let's hope it does. But that cannot be known ahead of time.

· Registered
1 Posts
unfortunately not all dog groomers are professional or wise in dog coats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.