Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First I have had dogs in the past, but never a dog with wire hair. I got Terra about a month ago from the shelter. After brushing and baths at home, I decided to take her to the groomer.

I told them, I don't know how this type of hair should be cut. Leave the length, just trim up around her face. If there are any questions have the groomer call me.

I went back to pick her up, and she was shaved!! :mad: I almost cried.

Now I'm terrified that her unruly wiry hair won't grow back. Is there anything I can do other than cross my fingers and hope?

Thanks for any advice.

Kathryn

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It'll be hit or miss how it grows back.

Do you know what her breed is? Is the coat a double coat?

Wire coats should be stripped and not cut, although you can have a sanitary clip done and clean up around the face. Double coats should not be shaved, the coat will often not grow back correctly, although sometimes it will improve over time if it's not shaved again.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Don't worry it will grow back. I used to shave wire haired dogs all the time and they always grew back. By the look of the dog although the groomer should of asked it was probable a good Idea to start over. Feed a high good quality food and it may grow back a little fuller and shiner. She is very cute. Good luck with your new rescue.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She is a terrier mix. Here is a before picture. I'm not sure if she would be considered to have a true double coat.

Kathryn
If she's double coated she'd have a fluffy layer under the longer guard hairs. Going by the looks of the coat, I agree with Dawnben and think it'll grow back O.K.

She's super cute!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my fingers crossed. She is on good quality food now so hopefully her hair will grow back in nice.

Kathryn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been there with a poodle I rescued a while back (not regarding wire hair) I was unaware it was even a poodle she was the cutest ball of fur, I just wanted her cleaned really well, I took her to the groomer and was returned a legit poodle, I thought I was being punked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's why I'm terrified of taking Cosmo in fear an incompetent groomer would chop off all of his double coat! I've yet to find an Aussie groomer and until I do Cosmos hair will grow freely :)

It doesn't look like your doggie has a double coat though so I wouldn't worry. It does suck not to be listened to though, but by the looks of it she may be better off starting over if I can echo what others have said. It will likely grow in fuller, she'll just look awkward for a little bit. I personally don't like shaved dogs so I understand. I'm sure it will look great in the end though!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That happened to my parents' long haired Chihuahua once. Our vet had recently hired a groomer and my mom decided she wanted the dog groomed. I told the lady exactly what I wanted done- nails, trim some of the longer hairs underneath, sanitary clip, and trim the tail a bit. Came back and the whole dog was clipped. I was too mad to address the issue without going nuts, so I left and called back later to complain that she did not follow any of the instructions I gave her. His fur did eventually grow back properly, but it took the better part of a year to do so.

It may take awhile, but it probably will grow back properly... especially since this has only happened once. No guarantee though... the only thing you can do is wait and hope. It'll often times take a full shed cycle to grow back completely if it will, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't come back quickly. The only thing you can do to help is make sure you are feeding a high quality diet and take good care of your pup! I would definitely speak to the manager of the shop and let them know about the issue. This is NOT something that should happen without your permission, and stuff like that is what would make me hesitant to send a coated dog to a groomer!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts