Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits' end! I have a greyhound (with the usual tomato-thin skin) and he was bitten by another dog almost 4 weeks ago. He had a spot on his side and another in his groin (where his leg meets his belly by his *naughty bits*) and the shoulder has healed fine; however, he has had three rounds of stitches and one round of staples in his groin and they keep getting pulled. The vet says that it will eventually heal on its own, but stitching it makes it MUCH faster because otherwise the wound has a lot of "dead space." I hate putting him through the pain and danger of surgery (not to mention the exorbitant costs). Does anybody have any helpful suggestions? Is there anything I can do to help or any treatments that are more effective? I can't limit his activity any more that it already is because he was always a lazy dog.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
When I was working at a vet's last year, we had a similar case. The vet wound up having to use both glue and staples

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
If it isn't closing and could be at risk for infection, I would if it was my dog

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Depending on how big it is I'd either have SOME of it sutured (not all) and let the area with the most tension heal on it's own or I'd let the entire thing heal on it's own.

At this point re-suturing it may require the ends to be cut again to promote healing, which requires at the very least some sedation and I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Again, it all depends on how big it is, but areas like that are usually as big a pain in the butt as you are experiencing and wind up healing just fine on their own over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is about 2.5 inches long and gapes open right around an inch when he is standing. Due to the wound location he can't lick it or get to it with his mouth or feet, but I think it is also why he has trouble keeping them in. When he walks he moves his hind leg and pulls on it. We have tried covering it but of course tape comes off and he just won't abide a diaper or toga-like wrap to keep it covered. He has already been sedated three times to get this fixed and has had a drain tube put in (though it has since been removed). The third round of stitches was just a few to try to hold most of it closed most of the way, but those ripped out after a couple of days, too. When he ripped open after the first time it was like tearing perforated paper. It has healed since then a little bit (wound isn't as large now). The staples just kind of turned and left it open (because the staples are only pinched shut on one side).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.