Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked Zody up a cow hoof at the pet shop today, they usually last him weeks to months depending on how long he chews on them, so I didn't mind the $2 this one cost. It was wrapped in plastic, made in the USA, and the only thing I could find special about it was that it was smoked.... Maybe that was the problem. Y'all are wondering what the problem is right? Well Zody, my 10lb chihuahua x dachshund was managing to bite off large chunks of it. When he first did it I thought that maybe it was one piece of it that was already fractured, but nope, the whole dang thing was like that. Unless a person has a dog that is toothless or has exceptionally weak jaws I do not recommend they buy Grillers Smoked Cows Hoofs for them. In no more then 20 min he managed to do this, and there were a few pieces that I threw away before I decided to take the picture...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I haven't ever bought the store bought ones, because they are smoked and I feel like they could be dangerous just like the smoked/cooked bones that are store bought. I have however, given hooves right off the cow. We were given two whole cows that couldn't be sold into the human food chain, and we gave the dogs the hooves as soon as we cut them off the cow, and they lasted forever! The dogs were never able to chew chunks off.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ever bought the store bought ones, because they are smoked and I feel like they could be dangerous just like the smoked/cooked bones that are store bought. I have however, given hooves right off the cow. We were given two whole cows that couldn't be sold into the human food chain, and we gave the dogs the hooves as soon as we cut them off the cow, and they lasted forever! The dogs were never able to chew chunks off.

I don't think the ones I usually buy are smoked, and I didn't realize that one was smoked until I got it home. I know the Red Barn ones, that I've gotten in the past, are roasted and I've never had a problem with those cracking.

Checking reviews on different sites, I wish I had done that before buying the hoof, the Grillerz seem to have a record of shattering and making dogs sick, which doesn't seem to be true for other hoofs.

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been 4 days since Zody had that horrid cow's hoof, and this morning he threw up 3 times, regurgitating a total of 4 pieces of the hoof. The pieces were around the size of the largest of the ones in the picture. Lovely, just lovely. I'm praying that those 4 are the end of it and that he's not going to end up at the vet. So far he's acting O.K., no signs of a blockage or irritated gut.

They need to pull the things from the market before a dog gets seriously hurt. They claim they are highly digestible yet the pieces of hoof that were thrown up were not even slightly digested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts