Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has ever owned or currently owns a Greyhound in Singapore? I have been considering adopting a Greyhound (also known as retired racers) since 2014. I understand these breeds are really rare over here and can be adopted from overseas (preferably Australia).

If anyone could give me some information about adopting a Greyhound as an overseas adopter that'll be great! Thanks :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greyhound

Hey there,

I'm a current owner of a retired greyhound. He's from Australia. I got him from Greyhound Rescue | We help you save greyhounds

The great thing about getting a dog from Australia is no quarantine.
My experience so far. Great apartment dogs. Gentle, low energy, despite the size, they do not require large space. (not HDB approve)

The cost of adopting is cheap. But the cost of flying them in could come up to 3500 SGD. They are generally healthy dogs. Most greyhound lives up to 12-13 years old. I do not agree with previous post stating that they have a short life span.

However, they are sensitive and gentle dogs. They take sometime to warm up to you. So please do your research properly before you adopt one. They are big, so not easy to find transport for them. Taxi and Uber won't take them. They do need daily exercise. 40 mins walk a day( by you, not your maid!) Greyhound is not for everyone. But I love my boy. He's perfect for my living condition.

Hope you find your match.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
"The great thing about getting a dog from Australia is no quarantine."

I don't understand this sentence- there's no quarantine no matter which country you live if you transport a dog from Australia? Why is that good? Do dogs from Australia not carry disease? Or do you mean that you're from Australia so it was convenient for you to adopt a dog from within your own country?

I'm just confused because I live in the northern US and I adopted a dog from the Southern US and even adopting a dog from my own country, she was quarantined for a couple of weeks before being transported across state lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"The great thing about getting a dog from Australia is no quarantine."

I don't understand this sentence- there's no quarantine no matter which country you live if you transport a dog from Australia? Why is that good? Do dogs from Australia not carry disease? Or do you mean that you're from Australia so it was convenient for you to adopt a dog from within your own country?

I'm just confused because I live in the northern US and I adopted a dog from the Southern US and even adopting a dog from my own country, she was quarantined for a couple of weeks before being transported across state lines.
Your are kinda dense! Firstly, the response is in context of the question. You need to read the question and interpret the reply in context of the question!

Where did you get this idea from, lol “ there's no quarantine no matter which country you live if you transport a dog from Australia? Why is that good? Do dogs from Australia not carry disease? “

Whoever said “no matter which country you live?” Is there some Universal organisation that determines a dog’s quarantine??? NO!!! Commonsense, quarantine is determined by the laws of the country or state of the importer.

The discussion starter is enquiring re adopting a greyhound from overseas, in particular, preferably from Australia as greyhounds are a rare breed in Singapore. The responder then states that one benefit of adopting a dog from Australia is that the dog does not need to be quarantined upon or before arrival in Singapore ie in context of Singapore laws. Go and look up Singapore laws for importing dogs. Dogs from Australia are rated as low risk for carrying rabies as are a number of other countries, and therefore they do not need to be quarantined. If the dog was being imported from a high risk country ( ie a country that Singapore officials have determined to be high risk, then the dog would need to be quarantined).

WHY IS THAT GOOD?
Commonsense again! Owner and dog can be immediately united. Isn’t that good? No need to wait for 14 days or whatever period required. Do you prefer to be separated from your dog for an extended period of time? Less stress for the dog and owner. The dog can immediately be settled in it’s new home. No need to pay for the costs of quarantine = saving $$$!!!

NB: It is always in context of the importing country and state/ territory laws. In your case, the laws of where you reside required your dog to be quarantined for 14 days as you have stated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts