Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a dog. The closest experience of dogs are my sisters and taking them for walks! I have vast experiences of cat ownership but never dogs. After the untimely death of our cat (kidney failure) we have been doing some thinking about what we really want and we both would love a dog. Unfortunately we both work full time.

I have spent the last two days going through almost every dog breed I could think of. The only dog where the rescue centre said they would rehome to a full time worker are greyhound rescues. On paper we are a good match for a grey hound. Very quiet home life - no kids or other pets, no life so plenty of doggy time in evening/weekends and a very comfy sofa! We are out of the house for 9 hours a day for work but we are getting a dog walker (used to be our cat sitter for vacations). We are securing the back garden. We are after a dog not a puppy. My sister has a lurcher (greyhoundXcollie ) but her collieness seems to be her overriding personality and she is a very energetic dog - but she does not bark and she has the greyhound love of snuggling on the sofa.

Basically is it true about greyhounds from personal experiences? Are they really so cat like they will sleep all day and not drive the neighbours mad with barking? Can they cope with the stresses of being alone/separation anxiety? I am so worried about falling for a dog only to find it is not coping with a working owner. I don't want to have to wait until I am retired to have a dog!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
There can never be an absolute guarantee, about any dog, but in general Greyhounds are known to be very laid back, gentle, and love being a couch potato. The ones I know, are very loving, but one thing you should know, is they are not a breed, again in general, that is known to live a long life. Generally eight to nine years is their life expectancy, but again there can always be exceptions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love Greyhounds! I regularly foster for one of the local Greyhound rescues. They are such great dogs. Just tell the Greyhound rescue you what you are looking for and they will be able to match you up with a hound that has the right personality.

There is a greyhound for pretty much any situation out there! In general they are happy to be doing things with you and equally happy to nap on the couch or the bed when you are busy.

Beth & Co

·
Registered
165 Posts
Greyhounds are AMAZING!! If my SO and I didn't have such an active lifestyle, a Greyhound would be my breed of choice. They're absolute characters, so loving, so chill (except for like 20 minute of zoomies a day), generally great with other dogs, generally good with children. They tend to be very quiet but they will "talk" to you (rumblings, whines, quiet vocal expressions) when very excited. Plus most of them have the absolute softest most luxurious ears :D

As long as walking off-leash isn't a priority for you, I would highly highly highly recommend a greyhound. They're probably one of the THE most under-rated breeds out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts