Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning/evening/afternoon,

i am Sam from Germany, please use they/them or he/him pronouns. I am 38 years old, parent to 4 wonderful stepkids and part of a challenging, exciting family scattered over 2 continents (i have a diagram, but that usually doesn´t clarify anything)

I am also a dogloverenthusiastnerd - i´ve spent about 6 weeks of live without at least one dog. My current pawtners are:

Princess - Great Dane, black, 7yrs and my PTSD/MobilityAssistance Service Dog
Boy - Great Dane, harlequin, 7 yrs and my recently retiered Diabetes Service Dog
Peanut - Chihuahua, 2 yrs, chocolate spotted on white, and she took over the reigns from Boy as new Diabetes Service Dog.

You may ask why i am here:

i love my danes and Princess is doing an excellent job, but as a Great Dane, her life span and therefore active working years are nearing the end, at least her working days will be over in the foreseeable future. I love Danes and they sure can do the job, but i need a smaller breed (compared to a Dane) which can potentially work more years, will be easier to travel with and better equipped to run along my bicycle. One of the breeds i have in mind is the Malinois or the GSD, i have experience with the latter, but the Malinois would have 2 pros over the GSD, less fur and better health according to statistics.

There´s basically nothing i can find on a Malinois or other protection breeds like Rottweiler, GSD etc as Psychiatric Service Dogs in Germany, so i hope i get some more information here as to how good they will fit the profile and if i can cater to their needs, not just they to mine. Here in Germany you#ll basically only get to hear *you need a lab or a golden or a goldendoodle* no offence, they are great dogs, but not my breed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I guess the reson for labradors and goldies being offered as the only breeds for service dogs is - not only are they intelligent, trainable, nice looking, but people are not afraid of them. Hope you find the dog you need and like.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
hej from germany too. :)
big families are great and rotties are also awesome dogs.
if I were you i'd stay with the molosser of find a calmer Schäfi, Malis are pretty different in temperament than Doggen.
perhaps just ask at the SV if they know breeders that breed calmer working dogs.

(In der Googlesuche hab ich zumindest einen rotti gefunden der MS-service dog ist.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.