Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all...this is my first post, so I'll try and get it right.
We're currently going through the adoption procedure for our new girl...she's a hound type rescued from Greece. We never intended to rehome a Greek, but we'd been looking for a while after losing our old girl Megan, and we just "connected" with this one. All of you who love your dogs will know exactly what this means.
I hope the attachments show, sorry if she looks a bit glum, they were taken at the rescue kennels.
So we fostered her for a couple of weeks then decided to keep her. No brainer really.
I was drawn to a thread started by Arwen in Nov 2015 about her new dog Ben. He looks just like Kyra, and I was intrigued by the suggestion that he may be a Schiller Hound. I hadn't heard of that one, and my initial Googling on Greek Hunting Hounds had thrown up the Hellenic Hound (it does have a Greek name but it escapes me). Kyra does look very similar to these hounds, albeit she has slightly smaller ears, and her face is a little more "honey" coloured.
So, we all go around in circles trying to identify these Hounds accurately, but is this possible? In the case of "rescued" hounds with no known history all we can say, I suppose, is that they are "types" of a generic, tri-coloured or black/tan/cream hounds, spread across most of the world where foxes and rabbits are hunted by their scent. She displays all the attributes of a hound (more later) and she will no doubt be a challenging training project. But she is an intoxicating little girl, with so many virtues we couldn't pass her up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, she is pretty but after 3 weeks since we took her on she's now going through the stroppy teenager phase. You know the kind of thing...
"If you want to dry my legs you'll have to come to ME"
"I don't care what the training books say, I WILL HAVE THAT LEAD TIGHT"
"I know it's bad but just one chicken won't hurt"
"I WILL follow every smell"

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Following every smell isn't just a teenager thing, but you knew she was a hound when you got her. She is a beauty, congratulations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts