Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
new to this forum.
We adopted a wonderful great Pyr back in October. We got her from a shelter so we're not sure how old she is exactly - but they estimate maybe 3 or 4?

She has been in fine health since we've gotten her, besides a bout of Kennel Cough back in January which went away with meds.

The other day started a few days in a row of her vomiting -- she vomited 2-3 times a day for 3 days straight. It was mostly her food coming back up but some of it would just be yellow-ish looking bile.

We took her to the vet - they said to give her rice/chicken - did a parasite test they said came back negative. Just said to monitor her. She seemed fine all weekend and Monday.

But now this morning, she vomited again and when we went for a walk, she had bad diarrhea.

She doesn't seem lethargic at all and was very playful at dog park as usual. She does seem to want to eat, but were scared now to feed her until we know whats going on.

Any suggestions?? We've fed her Blue Buffalo dry food for a long time but recently started giving her Farmer's Dog food, an all organic wet food mix. Here is their site:

Could this be something with switching of food? Seems odd she was OK for a few days now back to vomit/diarrhea.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
It could be the new food, when did you swap and how long did you take to transition her?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The directions of new food said to mix in some of with dry food - we have been doing that.

Its off though because we've been doing this for a few weeks now and shes seemed fine and loves the food, but the vomiting started out of nowhere after several weeks or giving her new food

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We never fully transitioned to ONLY farmer's dog food because the direction said its fine to mix it with Dry Food - so we continued to do that.

Should we cut out the other dry food entirely? Or cut out farmer's dog entirely and just use dry? Very confusing, not sure what is right!!

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood.

If she was mine, I'd give her chicken or white fish and rice for a few days to totally settle her tummy. Then I'd put her back on the food she had before the vomiting and diarrhoea started. If she stops being ill, you have your answer, it seems the new food doesn't agree with her. If she is still being unwell, it might be a different problem.

It can take a couple of weeks for tummy problems to resolve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts