Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted a very sweet Pyr mix from a rescue organization. They think she's about 1-1/2 years old, and she has had at least one litter. It had been clear she was mistreated. She's pretty shy and she quickly blanches when one of us makes an unexpected motion toward her or a loud noise.

She seems to be especially reluctant with me, even though I have never been aggressive toward her in any way. She doesn't avoid me, she just seems very tentative with me. I realize she's probably been badly treated by a male, and she probably associates me with that. My question is, will she always be this way with me? Or can I hope that it will eventually go away, and she'll trust me?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
518 Posts
How long has it been? It takes a while. It depends on the dog too. The 1yo we got a few months ago took about 3 weeks to be really comfortable with us, but he still let us pet him right away... but it's a new home, new people... just be patient and use positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It mainly depends on your pup's personality, but what you do can reduce the gap between you and your pup. I believe dogs are emotional creatures, they can perceive the owner's love and probably return to us.

How long have you rescued her? We do not know what the new pooch experienced before we rescued it. Most of them had an unpredictable or hopeless life. If your pup is mistreated before, she could be susceptible to any stimulation, including noise, quick motion, etc. Her poor experience results in timid or sensitive or aggressive personalities. Therefore, the time to adapt to the new environment varies in different dogs, from a few hours to several months. An adult dog may need much time to adapt. Some owners may complain that their rescue dogs are still rude and unfriendly after a month, even if they have made an effort to get along well with the new members. During this adjustment period, the key to earning its trust is to patiently make your furry friend feel safe and comfortable. Dogs will appreciate your kindness and reward you with infinite loyalty in later life.

So, you could spend time playing and training her with treats. Treats are the motivation of dogs. Although the training seems to be cruel for a poor rescue dog, we can transform it into a funny thing by correct ways, which can build a bond between you and her as well as train her to be brave and well-behavior. You could start from basic obedience training and leash training, she can improve the social skill at the same time.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I think she will warm up to you, it'll just take time.

What I do with shy new dogs it respect them, I don't shower them with attention since their goal is to go unnoticed while they figure out the new people in their lives. So if they move away I let them, if they don't want to be pet then fine, no petting. When I do give them attention It'll be a few pats then I stop and see if they want more.

Now what I do to win them over is talk to them either in a gentle happy voice, or a normal speaking voice, no loud exuberant talking. I'll get down to their level, sit on the floor or crouch down, talk to them and toss them some really yummy treats. Then slowly get up and leave them in peace. As I walk by I talk to them and drop treats. Usually the dogs will see I'm not threat, that I come with some really good things, and I don't scare or startle them. Once that happens they get more and more curious, and look forward to my being around. Next step is to offer pets while giving them the treats. After that they are usually the ones seeking me out. Hey free message, back scratches, and a good chance of getting yummy food! Depending on the dog it can take a few days to months for the dog to come around. My dog now let me handle him in a matter of days, but it took months for him to really bond with me, and it's only been the past couple months (I've had him 4 1/2 years) that he's decided to trust me to protect him from thunder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this has improved since you posted. If not, I had luck with my pit bull by just easing into social situations and approaching everything with loving caution. Lots of positive affirmation. It seems like these things just take time but sometimes they benefit knowing what you expect of them, which you can show with basic training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.