Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eyeroll:We have a great pernese dog, he is about almost2 years old. He is a sweet, and playful dog, big! dog. He has always played with the dog next door in their yard and ours and visits all the neighbors. We also noticed that he guards our home and the neighbor to the right. Lately he won't let his dog buddy come in our yard will attack him if he comes in it, but yet he will go and play with Ace(the neighbor dog) in their yard only. He has started doing things like...when the service man comes to our house as soon as he hits the steps our dog(Manny)will start snarreling and put his mouth over the man's hand and bite...one day my son got off the bus with his 11 year old friend and Manny walked beside them all the way to the house and as soon as they started up the steps he lost it and tried to bite the boy on the leg... My sister in law came over which they usaully do and he kept pushing in front of her and pushing her back from our door...and now, when people came to visit our neighbor when they got to their steps he ripped the back pocket off the guy...and is trying to attack their older kids when they come to visit. We all love Manny but have had to put him back on a chain for fear of him hurting someone. I have an appointment to have him neutered, but they say that may not even help.
I am hoping someone may have some advice because he needs to be off the chain. I know he is just protecting us, but I'm worried he'll hurt someone. Any advice???

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
great pyrenees are livestock guardians. You need to hire a positive based trainer and neuter you dog. ASAP.

It is your responsibility to keep this dog away from otherdog/strangers. Iam actually horrified that you have allowed multiply occurances to happen.

Life on a chain is not a life. Infact its illegal in alot of places. This dog needs to live inside with his family and learn manners.. If you cannot do that, IMO Perhaps you should contact a great pyr rescue. They are not an easy breed for just anyone..

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I remember when mom was looking up info when we were getting our Great Pyrenees, she said that you have to be a strong and effective "pack leader", otherwise they will take over the position and take definite advantage of you. Unfortunately, they also stated that it should begin at a young age. I agree with the above poster, I think that you should most definitely get him neutered and get him a professional dog trainer.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i just spent a weekend with a great pyranees, and witnessed another working a flock of sheep. you have a very big dog who is bred to do a very big job. this is an animal that moves with a flock of sheep and protects the whole flock and a huge moving "territory" potentially with his life. that is a huge job....please, if you have no other place to keep this dog (or any other for that matter)than on a chain, i urge you to contact a great pyranees rescue asap. if you believe you can put a lot of time in, starting yesterday, under the guidance of a positive trainer...keep him, but you must educate yourself.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Wow I am glad this was brought back up to the top, I never saw this. I don't understand...the dog runs loose? How is that not illegal? He is attacking people who go to the NEIGHBORS? This says he is not in a yard, I know places don't have yards but this is a bit nuts...this dog needs boundaries. I hope the OP took care of this in a respectful manner.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Wow I am glad this was brought back up to the top, I never saw this. I don't understand...the dog runs loose? How is that not illegal? He is attacking people who go to the NEIGHBORS? This says he is not in a yard, I know places don't have yards but this is a bit nuts...this dog needs boundaries. I hope the OP took care of this in a respectful manner.
thats soo funny, i didn't see the original posting date, it just came up on "unread posts" or something lol, i try not to keep posting on these, i actually hope the OP found a more appropriate home for the dog...after seeing these guys in action (which was totally awesome btw) they have a huge need for both boundaries and a lot of socialization and even then, i don't think this is an appropriate situation....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
wow my old reply was snarky...but I think it might have been founded after all. Iam still horrified.

thats soo funny, i didn't see the original posting date, it just came up on "unread posts" or something lol, i try not to keep posting on these, i actually hope the OP found a more appropriate home for the dog...after seeing these guys in action (which was totally awesome btw) they have a huge need for both boundaries and a lot of socialization and even then, i don't think this is an appropriate situation....
Yeah way to dig up an ancient thread! ::blows dust off screen::: :) :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts