Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted my Trucker, a Redbone Coonhound, and was told that I should feed him grain-free food and treats as much as possible to avoid yeast infections in his ears. I haven't found a ton of Grain-Free treats and I am currently feeding him Simple Grain-Free food.
Does anyone have suggestions on Grain-Free Treats and/or Food:

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can always make your own treats. My brother likes to cook and bake, so he always makes treats that are grain-free (his Husky is allergic to grain and poultry) that both the dog and we humans can eat. One of my favorites was an oatmeal apple muffin, and the dog particularly loves to chew on things so a peanut-butter filled apple (completely frozen) is a big hit for him.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well to start here are a few I would feed:
Taste of the Wild
Nature's Variety
Now! Fresh
Acana Regionals - Possible the other lines too as I see their changing the others to a Heritage line?
Orijen

For treats, I just use veggies, or dehydrated meat that I dehydrate at home

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Orijen has grain free treats.

I feed the Fromm grain free line. A few more that I know of are Acana, Orijen, Zignature,

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the information. :) I am defiantly new to this dog owner thing, I have only ever had a cat and my family had a toy poodle while I was growing up. I am trying to learn as much as possible to make Trucker's new home/life as best as possible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I feed taste of the wild. You shouldn't need to worry about ear infections unless your dog is actually allergic to grains. Some do just fine on grain inclusive food.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@DobisHoundis So Trucker is my first dog (my family had a toy poodle growing up but that was my family's dog not mine) and I am so worried about screwing up :(. When the Rescue told me I should feed him only Grain-free I just took it at face value, I am not sure if he actually has any allergies.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@DobisHoundis So Trucker is my first dog (my family had a toy poodle growing up but that was my family's dog not mine) and I am so worried about screwing up :(. When the Rescue told me I should feed him only Grain-free I just took it at face value, I am not sure if he actually has any allergies.
I feed mine grain free and they have both gotten ear infections at one point. There is nothing wrong with a high quality grain inclusive food. It's not any worse just because it has grains in it. Whatever works best for your dog.

As long as you stay on top of cleaning his ears he should be fine. I flush them out with epi otic cleanser every couple weeks and then use gauze to clean. They both have deep ear canals so sometimes it's hard to get everything and this can lead to infection.

I don't squeeze the cleaner directly into the ear because it really freaks them out. I soak a cotton ball and then slowly squeeze it into the canal until it's full and then squish the ear around near the base of the head, let them shake, and then wipe the excess.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feed mine grain free and they have both gotten ear infections at one point. There is nothing wrong with a high quality grain inclusive food. It's not any worse just because it has grains in it. Whatever works best for your dog.

As long as you stay on top of cleaning his ears he should be fine. I flush them out with epi otic cleanser every couple weeks and then use gauze to clean. They both have deep ear canals so sometimes it's hard to get everything and this can lead to infection.

I don't squeeze the cleaner directly into the ear because it really freaks them out. I soak a cotton ball and then slowly squeeze it into the canal until it's full and then squish the ear around near the base of the head, let them shake, and then wipe the excess.
That's his ears are really dirty right now but again I wasn't willing to get him bathed/groomed for fear it will cause setbacks in terms of "stranger fear". So I will look to see if I can find some at PetsMart while I am there and try that. Thank you :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts