Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawyer has never really been one to be a regular grass eater. Usually he eats it when he gets a little over excited in play and sometimes he will grab a bit instead of a toy. But he's been wanting to eat grass all of the sudden. I just went to take him out and on our way back in (we have a bit of grass growing infront of our steps since our driveway is sand) and he stop and started eating it. I tried going up the stairs assuming he would follow me but he kept eating the grass. He eat some grass (I think we were out playing while it was dark) a couple of nights ago to. Its not obsessive eating or anything but more then normal.
I was getting alittle worried yesterday, he went to the bathroom yesterday morning when we got up. But he asked to go out 3-4 times after that through out the day and didn't go at all. Thankfully this morning he did finally go.
He's been eating fine and has been drinking. And seems to be generally ok. He does seem a tad bit quite to me today. But I think that might also have to do with the heat.
Do you think he has a upset stomach?

Just as a side note, we did get him a antler. He is a pretty good chewer and he's already made a bit of a dent on the ends. I did notice some tiny white things on the floor. Possibly pieces of antler from being chewed? as far as I know he's not eating them, at least of the floor. Could that be causing a possible upset stomach?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
He might be feeling a little sicky and trying to make himself feel better. I'd just watch him and make sure he's otherwise okay. I think everyone's dog is a little quieter from the heat. Heck, I'm a little quieter from the heat!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
There is certain grass that grows in the summer that dogs eat. Usually if they eat regular grass they do it to purge their stomachs. If they eat the other grass they do it because they like the taste. Its fine as long as there are no poisons or fertilizers on the grass.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies,
I wonder if he was a bit constipated or something like that. We just took him to the pet store to grab some food, and seems to be feeling better now. He hasn't tried to eat the grass since we got back. Im sure the temp cooling off from the rain helped too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Our Tiger has in the past been quite the prolific grass eater. Like, every day mostly. We used to joke that he was our little miniature cow. :D As the years have passed, he doesn't seem to do it quite as much, but even our youngest, Spicey does it from time to time. They don't do it to throw up or anything, which seems to be solely the case for my elderly dog, Kirby.

I'm sure Sawyer is probably okay, and is, like you probably figure, just a little out of sorts because of the heat, or similar.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My dog will eat grass if she is thirsty and there is not water available, like if we are playing in the yard or if we are on a walk. It doesn't sound like that's the case here though. Some dogs also tend to have a taste for spring grass and will happily munch on a bit for no apparent reason when it's newly growing and starting to get a little tall. It could also be he had a bit of an upset stomach he was trying to soothe.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok maybe he isn't feeling quite as better as I thought he was. He hasn't really had as much interest in grass but has tried eating it again a few times. And this morning the first time he went poop, he had diarrhea.
I was thinking it could be possibly from starting to switch from his current food to his new food. But so far ive barley mixed any in.
He's acting normal though for the most part. Ill keep an eye on him for the rest of today. Hopefully it was just something that didn't agree with him and it finally getting out of his system.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ if the new food truly doesn't agree w him it could very well be due to that. It's surprising sometimes how sensitive dogs' digestion can be. I guess you'll know as time goes by and you mix more of the new food in.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope its just that, but I really hope its not, since I was hopping that would be his new permanent food. But better that then something worse.
Im switching from taste of the wild to zignature. But we did get the fish kind so I wonder if that's it. For now just in case ill just give him taste of the wild with some pumpkin to give him some fiber.
Ill take it as a good sign that he hasn't been whining to go out more then normal to use the bathroom.

·
Registered
502 Posts
2 of my dogs eat grass like its going out of style. But Echo only does if she's feeling bad and needs to throw up. Since its not normal, I'd guess its the food. It may just be him adjusting, or it may not agree with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Possibly but he started eating grass before I started switching him over, we just got the food yesterday and he only had a tiny amount mixed in with dinner last night and breakfast this morning

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think im going to call the vets,

(sorry this is a little gross)

This morning part of it was a bit solid, but I just took him out again. He went pee and pooped again. But this time it was completely liquid. That coupled with him wanting to eat grass makes me wonder if he eat something that's non edible.

Thankfully, he hasn't needed to go frequently. This is the second time he's pooped today and the other time I took him out he just peed.

Something else that's slightly out character for him is that he's been laying next to me a lot. The room im normally in can get kinda warm so he normally only stays for short periods of time on his bed, and more so later at night. Then migrates to on the floor, then to the other room which has tiles and im sure is cooler. But today he's layed down next to my chair and stayed there for long periods of time.

At least I know he's not feeling to to bad, he picked up a few bones to chew and will happily chew them for awhile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts