Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I had to take Cosmo in for a really bad limp. He ended up being fine but did have soft tissue damage. The culprit was my grandparents dog, who plays very rough with him, sometimes pummeling him over and forcing his leg into weird positions.

I paid the vet 160 dollars in the end and went home with a limpy puppy.

He's doing well now though still can't play too rough as I'm worried he will regress and something will tear or get worse. My grandpa likes taking him and his dog Wednesday, the rough houser, up to this field to let them sniff around and play. The only issue is Wednesday is SO rough with him!

Today she was being rough so I stood up and said "WESNESDAY OFF!" As I have to do frequently, but he got really twisted about it and upset. He said "you know what they're just playing" and then said "never mind lets go" and stormed off. Hasn't spoke to me since!

How do I tell him that his dog just plays too rough with Cosmo without him getting all hurt and mad ?? I almost want to say fine then you can pay for his next vet bill!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Call your Grandpa and just frankly tell him that you just had to pay $160 in vet bills due to you puppy being injured from playing with a stronger dog...his dog. That you still want to see the dogs play together but they need supervised so the play doesn't get too rough. Tell him that your puppy needs to fully recover from his injury and also you don't want to see him re-injured in that area, nor get hurt in another area. Tell him you enjoy watching the dogs play but that they need supervised and their play toned down.

Tell him you are not 'blaming him or his dog' that you understand dogs like to play and again mention that as your puppy grows then the rough play probably won't be a problem. But until the puppy can hold it's own in the rougher play you can't afford more vet bills nor do you want to see you puppy in pain from an injury - so stepping in and getting the dogs to lower their level of energy while playing is a must.

If he argues, ask him if he would let a 7 year old kid play with a 3 year old child and use all of his strength against the younger child? Just like a 7 year old can throw a ball harder and faster and has more weight when it comes to wrestling and in bumping into others...a toddler wouldn't be able to play against all that without getting hurt. This is what your puppy is going through when the bigger dog gets too excited and the puppy is a risk.

If your grand dad can't accept that fact - then for now I guess it's best that you keep your dogs separate....and tell him that all he is doing is not letting either dog have any fun. That supervised play is better than no play at all. And again, in a near future as you puppy grows, that even supervised play might not be needed.

It's a little thing to ask of your grand dad...to help you keep your dog from being injured.

Stormy

Reactions: crazy and cos

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Call your Grandpa and just frankly tell him that you just had to pay $160 in vet bills due to you puppy being injured from playing with a stronger dog...his dog. That you still want to see the dogs play together but they need supervised so the play doesn't get too rough. Tell him that your puppy needs to fully recover from his injury and also you don't want to see him re-injured in that area, nor get hurt in another area. Tell him you enjoy watching the dogs play but that they need supervised and their play toned down.

Tell him you are not 'blaming him or his dog' that you understand dogs like to play and again mention that as your puppy grows then the rough play probably won't be a problem. But until the puppy can hold it's own in the rougher play you can't afford more vet bills nor do you want to see you puppy in pain from an injury - so stepping in and getting the dogs to lower their level of energy while playing is a must.

If he argues, ask him if he would let a 7 year old kid play with a 3 year old child and use all of his strength against the younger child? Just like a 7 year old can throw a ball harder and faster and has more weight when it comes to wrestling and in bumping into others...a toddler wouldn't be able to play against all that without getting hurt. This is what your puppy is going through when the bigger dog gets too excited and the puppy is a risk.

If your grand dad can't accept that fact - then for now I guess it's best that you keep your dogs separate....and tell him that all he is doing is not letting either dog have any fun. That supervised play is better than no play at all. And again, in a near future as you puppy grows, that even supervised play might not be needed.

It's a little thing to ask of your grand dad...to help you keep your dog from being injured.

Stormy
couldnt put it better myself!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts