Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in late winter this year I started the dogs on raw. I did TONS of research, calculations - hardest part was knowing how much to feed them. But I started and I did like the resulting smaller poops and emotional satisfaction that I was doing right by my dogs. But it seems they began to become less energetic, Boone especially. At first, I put it down to Winter doldrums and hoped it would improve over the Spring. There was some improvement but this year at Lure Coursing, Boone was slower ... and slower ... the last few weeks, he just hasn't bothered running the whole course, stopping a third to half way. He's eating/drinking fine, no other signs of illness other than a bout of diarrhea during the very long hot spell we had earlier this summer.

I don't know what's wrong, is he in pain or is something else going on? Was I all wrong on the raw food and he's lacking nutrients? I return to kibble, but no improvement - so I finally take him to the vet. Vet takes blood for a full blood panel, then starts a physical exam - no problems in throat, eyes, front chest area. Stand Boone up, start checking his tummy ... Vet says "oh, he's a little plump, isn't he".

Penny drops, BIG time! Yup, I made my dog fat! He's about 23 lbs larger than he was three years ago. That's about 40% of his 'ideal' weight - poor munchkin, no wonder he didn't want to run so much!

How did I not notice, you ask? Two reasons - main one being that BF's dog Tara is a Rottweiler, and she's WAY overweight - beside her, Boone looks barely fed. Second reason - I knew he'd put on some weight, but thought it was because he was past the puppy stage, and who doesn't fill out a bit in maturity?

All of Boone's blood tests came back normal, except kidney was one point above normal. Vet recommends another blood panel in 8 months.

In the meantime, both Boone and Tara are on reduced rations, and BF is really on-board - I've been telling him for years that Tara was overweight, but he operates on the food=love policy, and didn't really take me seriously. But at least he's clued in now. :)

Turns out that a few people at lure coursing thought Boone was too heavy, but too polite to tell me. However, they did give me a handy test - to run my fingers along the dog's spine; if I can feel bumps, he's ok, if not, he's carrying too much weight.

So, that's $300 to find out my dog is fat. :eek: :bashself:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, considering the alternative causes of gradual loss of energy, fat is great!
This is very true, thank you for pointing it out. I am just feeling both stupid and guilty for not even considering his weight.

Hopefully, I can make up that $300 over the next few years by feeding them the right amount of food, instead of too much! :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a lot of food you'll be saving on, if you keep them on raw, not cheap!
Yup, it would be. However, at the moment I'm getting Acana dog food for about $7.50 a bag (usually, $70-$80), thanks to the help of some friends. Being in a constant cash crunch, I may stick with Acana for a while, at least till my friends run out of coupons they want to give away.

I was feeding them both the recommended amount of raw, based on their weight, according to what information I found. It was 24 ounces per day for Tara, based on 75 lbs, and about 22 ounces for Boone, based on 55 lbs. If/when I go back to raw I'll have to rethink those amounts I guess.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yup, it would be. However, at the moment I'm getting Acana dog food for about $7.50 a bag (usually, $70-$80), thanks to the help of some friends. Being in a constant cash crunch, I may stick with Acana for a while, at least till my friends run out of coupons they want to give away.

I was feeding them both the recommended amount of raw, based on their weight, according to what information I found. It was 24 ounces per day for Tara, based on 75 lbs, and about 22 ounces for Boone, based on 55 lbs. If/when I go back to raw I'll have to rethink those amounts I guess.
It takes some experimentation to figure out feeding amounts, whether raw or kibble. Kabota eats so much less than Acana recommends, it worries me a bit, but his weight is good and he's very healthy. The vet says he's perfect, keep it up, but there's that little bit of fear, you know?

Reactions: Dia

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, I put Manna on raw originally to help her gain weight and it worked, so this doesn't surprise me lol.

It's more digestible and I've noticed that the recommended 3% of body weight for feeding is a bit on the high side unless you're doing a lot of strength and endurance work like jouring 5 days a week or something like that.

Manna needs less than 2% a day or she gets fat (1.8% now that I brought out my calculator) and Vitae...well her's is changing up a lot (growing puppy crazy)

I gave up on keeping track of total weight percentiles, I just add or take away ounces until body condition and poop looks right.

edit: cat related but my cat on raw gets almost double of what's recommended because of her pre-existing health issues cause her to lose weight like crazy and because of her liver issues the vet wants her slightly above optimal weight for when those starving moments happen again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts