Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm an engineering student creating a GPS Pet Collar. It would cost around $30 and would sell online.

We are currently prototyping different designs and would love feedback from knowledgeable pet-owners like you. :)

So far, our product is a little black box that you attach to your pet's current collar. When you want to know where your pet is, look up your pet's location on Google maps.

Are there any other features that would be very important?

If you want more information, check out our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ForeverCollar.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I love the idea.
Maybe you could have a rechargeable battery in the unit, something you could plug in overnight, like the astro tracker has. Your unit is a lot cheaper, and better, if it located by satellite to your phone, rather than by radio signal to a handset.

It would also be really neat if your system kept a "track" of the dog's path.
If you wanted to get really advanced your system could keep statistics such as the distance traveled and average speed of the dog.

Another cool feature would be an alarm on your phone if your dog left a designated area.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hey, will you let us know if you get this thing up and working?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
How will Tagg compare to yours?

I love Tess's requests. Also, make it waterproof! And a mobile app would be ideal!

Hmmm.... we spent around $1000 on our Garmin Astro system. I'm going to feel ripped off!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hey Tess, that tag system will send a text to your phone if your dog leaves the area you have designated as 'home'. If Luna was off-leash trained I'd order one now!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
If you can add this:

It would also be really neat if your system kept a "track" of the dog's path.
Another cool feature would be an alarm on your phone if your dog left a designated area.
Also, make it waterproof! And a mobile app would be ideal!
I would totally buy it! :thumbsup:

Please keep us updated!!

edit:
via there website:
"When you purchase a Forever Collar, take it home and plug it into your computer to create a radius around your house. When your pet leaves this radius, you will now be notified via text."
http://unbouncepages.com/forever-collar/

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So I log in and at the top of my page is an ad for the Tagg tracker and a deal for 25% off a tracking system. That includes 3 months of the satellite fees which are 7 dollars per month. Hmmmm

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Interesting- I'd like to see it in a design that's not obviously a black box hanging on their collar. Maybe offer shapes such as red hearts, bone shaped, etc... I'm kind of picky with what is hanging on her collar and don't like excess (or ugly) tags- I know it sounds superficial since the benefit of knowing where your pet is would far outweigh the ugly factor, BUT it's still important for marketing. I am sure I am not the only one who'd like to see a product that is functional AND attractive.

Also, for me, normal LR44 batteries would be fine.

I'd love to see the device be waterproof though for those of us who own dog/ducks.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
What about incorporating the device into a collar? Or make it like a slip on name plate? If you do a hanging tag-like device, the attachment to the collar should be very secure and not super dangly--which could be a catch/snag risk. I like Nyla's suggestion of having multiple shape options, but please plan on offering some plain janes for those of us who don't do hearts/bones type of designs. :) Although... a black box isn't really my thing either. Hmmm.... maybe M&M shape like some LED collar lights I've seen?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yes, it absolutely must be waterproof, or it would be useless for most people. If your dog is on the loose, he almost certainly is getting wet! Actually, our dogs go swimming daily, even when "under supervision", so waterproof is essential.

And I second the idea that it come attached to a collar, or be able to be attached, in a way that it lays flat, rather than dangling and getting caught on things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Followup

Wow! All these responses are great!
From your recommendations, we are definitely going to make the GPS collar waterproof and with a cellphone app.

I have a followup question for everyone. (You guys are the best!)
Losos you said you would like:
And I second the idea that it come attached to a collar, or be able to be attached, in a way that it lays flat, rather than dangling and getting caught on things.
Which would be preferable: a collar add-on or having the GPS system built into the collar?

This is great - and I will definitely post updates here! If you want to keep close tabs on our progress you can like our product page (http://tinyurl.com/cmmrfto) or join our mailing list (http://tinyurl.com/c374wr2).

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Which would be preferable: a collar add-on or having the GPS system built into the collar?
That is a tough call. People have very wide preferences for collars, such as metal buckle vs plastic quick-clip types, d-rings vs safety o-rings, material, size, color/pattern, safety/breakaway features, embroidered/engraved ID info, etc.

If you didn't produce a functional collar, people would be stuck with a dog wearing two collars (like ours do when they wear their Garmins). Or, they might neglect to have both on which would defeat the purpose of one or the other. If you decided to produce a wide variety of collars, that would increase your start-up/production costs, I'd guess. For for owners, it would be ideal to have the variety of built-ins, but that might not be feasible for you.

I would prefer a slide-on/slip-on gps plate (like such dogIDs Slide - On Engraved Name Plate - Free Shipping} ) over a dangling tag if you don't go the built-in route.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sweet stingray of Montigo Bay, we would buy your prototype as soon as it was up and running!!
I'm not sure what the logistics are for you folks, but here's what we'd look for (an to my knowledge what no GPS collar currently offers) and some folks have suggested already:

Something that tracked the dog in real time, and displays their position relative to you on something like google maps via a smart phone or reciever.

Something durable, waterproof, and totally secure to attach to the collar/harness or its own collar unit (actually, as long as it wasn't too bulky, a collar unit might be well suited as it would give you more room for hardware and would be less likely to slip off the dog)

Interesting possible features:
A log your route function (this might require a separate smartphone app?) for you and the dog.

A way to set a perimeter for training recall. When the dog reaches the set distance (adjustable by the user) the unit could make some sort of intermittant beep or chirp (this should not be a loud or frightening sound, the idea is not to correct the dog for going too far, but to give them a signal that can be conditioned to mean "come back"). Bonus points for the phone alerting you at the same time so you don't have to watch the screen all the time. You could set the safe distance, then keep the phone in your pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I would prefer a slide-on/slip-on gps plate (like such dogIDs Slide - On Engraved Name Plate - Free Shipping} ) over a dangling tag if you don't go the built-in route.
Agree! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't want to have to have 2 collars on Niko and I want to be able to still choose his collar. Having to choose one of yours with the GPS built in would be a bummer...
I'm kinda picky... :p

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
See, I would like to see a hanging tag (provided it could be made with a relatively low profile). That way I could use it on all my collars. I use 1", 1.5", and 2" collars interchangeably, as well as martingales that wouldn't support a slide-on feature at all. If I bought the product, I would like to be able to change it out between collars along with my tags all on one clip, but I wouldn't be able to if it was a slide-on.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Check out the tagg link Millitant. It seems as if there product has all the features. The only problem is it is 99 bucks. If Luna was reliable off leash I'd get her one but for now I turn on my cardio training program on my smartphone and track our hikes/daily walks using it to record or tracks.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Check out the tagg link Millitant. It seems as if there product has all the features. The only problem is it is 99 bucks. If Luna was reliable off leash I'd get her one but for now I turn on my cardio training program on my smartphone and track our hikes/daily walks using it to record or tracks.
Wha? I can't find anything? Do you mean just the regular Tagg device?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
beretw:

See, I would like to see a hanging tag (provided it could be made with a relatively low profile).
I would too but all the GPS devices I have seen so far have been MUCH bigger than a normal dog tag... So it would look real aquard to have a tennis ball sized black box hanging from their neck...

OlinStudent:
If you can make the device about the size of a normal dog tag and not much thicker then why not make both options? Do some trial runs and see what sells more or if they sell evenly, then adjust supply by demand from there. :thumbsup:
-I think if it hangs it would really be awesome if you made it in the shape of a "house" (like on your website) or a bone, not just a black "box"... *hint hint*

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
beretw:
I would too but all the GPS devices I have seen so far have been MUCH bigger than a normal dog tag... So it would look real aquard to have a tennis ball sized black box hanging from their neck...

OlinStudent:
If you can make the device about the size of a normal dog tag and not much thicker then why not make both options? Do some trial runs and see what sells more or if they sell evenly, then adjust supply by demand from there. :thumbsup:
-I think if it hangs it would really be awesome if you made it in the shape of a "house" (like on your website) or a bone, not a black "box"... *hint hint*
I mean, they can make computer chips itty bitty, this is doable!

That's just a normal slide on tag isn't it Amanda?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts