Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We adopted our 3 year old female “Spaniel mix” dog, Mila, 1.5 years ago. We know nothing about her history other than that she had a bum hip due to suspected abuse. (She got a hip replacement and is much, much better now!) She definitely doesn’t look 100% spaniel, but to us and everyone who has seen her in person, she screams spaniel. However, our WP results said she has ZERO spaniel in her. What?

Instead, her results said that she is 50% Standard Poodle, 37.5% Golden Retriever, and 12.5% Miniature Poodle. I do NOT see this combination, hah! Sure, I could see the Retriever and some Poodle, but not 62.5% Poodle...

How accurate are these tests anyway? To be honest I am doubting its validity. She has brindle fur on her face (brown mostly) and some grey fur on her legs. She also has an underbite — not characteristic of any of the above mentioned breeds.

What are your thoughts? Think these results are accurate? We got the results in less than one week after WP confirmed that they received her sample, even though we were told it would take 2-3 weeks. Hmmm. She still looks and acts like a Spaniel to me :)

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
There is a story doing the rounds about a journalist who sent his own saliva to one of these companies and the results showed he was a lab/terrier cross (or something like that, can't remember the details) :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a dog who is by a Standard Poodle out of a Golden Poodle cross so very similar cross. The only thing I see really different is that Gypsy has the really curly coat of the Poodle but I think this could vary. The Golden Doodle mother has a head very similar to your dog. They are both a blue merle as far back in the grandfather there was a bit of Australian Shepherd.
DSC03356.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts