Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Roxie, my 4 1/2 yr old pom, has been recently making this horrible honking cough. It happens anytime, when she is just relaxing in her bed, to playing, to just walking in the kitchen. It doesn't matter. She really panicks and tries to run to one of use to console her. It really scares us when she does it. She is eating and drinking fine, and is not over weight. She is 9 pounds (which i know standard is 3-6) she is not standard. I asked the vet, and they said that is wasn't anything to worry about. WHAT?? Should I get a second opinion, and get an x-ray done, or really, there isn't anything to worry about. Please help..
Here is a few pics of her with her new style cut..thanks to all in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Change vets! Your vet is an idiot!

Your dog either has Kennel cough, which should be monitored so she doesn't get pneumonia. (It does go away on it's own, but more sever cases will need a vaccination, injectible kennel cough vaccine.) It's a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. But with some dogs they need the antibiotics to stop secondary infections.

With your breed they are very prone to Collapsed Trachea's. Your dog is at the age when they can develop this. Go to this website : Collapsed Trachea|Small Dog Throats
To read more about this.

If you keep consoling her, this will make her more worried and being worried and stressed will make her cough more. Just have her sit or lay in your lap and pet her, but don't show that you are worried.

I would definitely take her to the vet!

Good luck for your little girl.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Isn't this one of the breeds that is famous for a reverse sneeze? From what I understand its nothing to worry about just something some of the dogs with that particular trait do very well. Which would at times resemble the sound of a honking goose.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Those are great pics arpcarls! She looks really great with her new "do"!
In answer to your question, I know Corgie's are known for this. I used to have a co worker who would bring hers to work with her and he'd do this.
You might want to get a second opinion, it's awlays a good idea to have a new set of eyes look from a different angle so to speak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're really concerned, see your vet. But it sounds like what is called reverse sneezing. My Stella (cavalier) does this. The first time she did it, I was scared! But then I found out what it really is (reverse sneeze). It is harmless. To stop it, I gently put my hand over her nose. Sometimes rubbing the throat helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts