Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm currently trying to find the best fairly low cost food option for my dog that is at least upper middle range as far as quality goes.

I was on PetSmart's website and I noticed they have a seemingly new brand now called Good Natured. It's kind of cool that they'll donate food (1/2 lb bag, they say), I'm assuming to shelters, per bag you buy, but obviously that's not going to sell me entirely.

Anyone know anything about it? I can't find any reviews and I'm not really good at deciphering dog food ingredient quality yet. Thanks!:)

Here's a list of ingredients on the food I'd probably buy:

Good Natured Small Breed Adult Dog Food - Natural, Chicken & Barley

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Barley, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Fish Meal (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Egg Product, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Ground Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Apple Pomace, Dl-Methionine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 24.5%
Crude Fat (min) 12.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Calcium (min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (min) 0.8%
Zinc (min) 150 Mg/Kg
*Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (min) 20 mg/kg
*Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 1.65%
*Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.35%

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have done a fair amount of looking into dog food. I don't like the protein content and the fat content. I like dog food that has protein that is in the 27% range and fat that is 16%. All most every time you pay for what you get. I looked to see how much I would have to give to my puppy. She would have to get all most 3 cups a day. Right now she gets 2 cups.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My opinion is meh for that brand. Dog food advisor says 3.5. This is a type of food that may be cheap but you have to feed a lot of which means you are going through bags faster and picking up a lot more dog poop.

Check out dog food advisor, its an awesome website for comparing ingredients and qualities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@theyellowdog Thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I don't see reviews of this specific food anywhere yet.

The one you linked is a different brand, or is it technically the same? It has meat meal as it's first ingredient, then oatmeal, where I liked Good Natured's chicken and then chicken meal as its first and second ingredients.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, how do you judge how much to feed them? As it doesn't seem you are using the brand guidelines, I was wondering if you could give me an idea of other, better guidelines.

My dog is 7 lbs and definitely wouldn't eat 3 cups of food.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was in a weird funk yesterday. Sorry thats not the same brand, ignore me. It looks like they haven't reviewed that brand yet.

Typically with new food brands I am a little weary of in the first place because there is no reviews. I don't really like rice in dog foods, a dog I used to own always was super gassy with rice and didn't do as well on it. Brown rice and brewerers rice seem to be a bit better from what I know, but I still don't like it.

For the cups/wght thing freemare was talking about I just compared that brand between Canidae's Pure line

Its gets a 5/5 stars on dog food advisor (Here. I like the ingredients in Canidae, and their content %.

Protien 32%
fat 18%
Fiber at 4%

For the Good natured adult you will be paying $26.99 / 23 lbs = $1.17 / lbs
Then you are feeding about a cup a day according to their chart, give or take a small amount.

With canidae pure it is $49.49 on the petco website. $49.49 / 25 lbs = $1.97 / lbs
With this you would feed about 1/2 a cup a day!

So that means that it will take you twice as long to go through the Canidae bag then it would the Good Natured adult bag. In about the same amount of time. It also means you will pick up less poop! Does that make sense?

Canidae for sale info

I also like canidae for their addition of probiotics into their food. Its so good for the dogs to have that in their diet. They only have 7 main ingredients, so the food is simple and to the point.

I hope that helps more than my groggy post about the wrong brand.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
[QUOTE=oscillatewildly;2707242
Good Natured Small Breed Adult Dog Food - Natural, Chicken & Barley

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Barley, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Fish Meal

I don't like to see poultry fat instead of a named fat. Poultry fat means the fat could come from sources like old reprocessed restaurant fat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts