Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my 3 month old a 20 ft leash for outside. Our yard is small so he can still access about 90% of it. The reason I got this is because he LOVES to go under the bush and EAT everything under there. There's a few gopher holes, a nest and mulch as well as sand back there. He's eaten some stuff back there before and I want to put a stop to it completely before he ingests anymore bad stuff.

I usually hover over him while we're outside. I follow him and watch what he sniffs carefully. It's always difficult to tell if hes sniffing to potty or sniffing to find something to eat. Even then, it's not always effective as puppies are LIGHTNING fast. Seriously!

So far this leash has worked wonders. I'm still outside watching him, but I can sit and not have to follow him around and constantly be on guard. It's such a big relief. The leash is heavy duty for outdoors but it is extremely thin and light. It can withstand his chewing, but be light enough to where he can still run around back and forth in the yard. Now I can have the peace of mind that he will not get to something he's not supposed to.

He also likes to rip up grass or try to sniff around grass to find something to eat. I got a few outdoor toys and this has kept him distracted from sniffing and eating. He still does his potty business, but instead of being bored and ripping up grass or trying to find something to eat afterwards, he goes for the rope or the big ball that he pushes around.

Now, he recently got his 3rd set of shots, and the a-ok from the vet - we can now go on neighborhood walks. We live in a military base where all animals have to be registered and checked at the base vet so no strays - but there are other animals like bunnies, more gophers, skunks, all around the place. We recently started walking down the street and back, but he loves to eat whatever he comes across, this includes plastic, cigarette butts, cigarette ashes, animal poops, dead animals and everything in between. He's even faster during our walks when it comes to putting stuff in his mouth.. I was thinking of getting a cone or something similar to help him.

Of course we started our kikopup's leave it lessons. We have been since he came home. but of course he's still a small baby so he can only do so much. Which is okay, over time he will learn more and more. He does great at home though! He's mastered the leave it command! But outside is a whole different story haha.

So 20 ft leash ok? I think so, as long as I'm out there watching him. There are no bad side effects to it.
Outdoor toys? I think it's okay as well. It distracts him from eating stuff, but doesn't distract him from pottying.
Cone? I think so as well, but I'm not sure what others think of it. Maybe there's a certain one I can get?

I wanted to set him up for success, so I'm taking these extra steps in prevention.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think a tie-out is completely fine, especially if you're there supervising. I see no problem w that.
Cone on the other hand ...many dogs are very uncomfortable w a traditional cone but I do not see one of the more open e-collars serving the purpose you wish it to serve. I think it will depend on how he acts w one on ...he may be so uncomfortable he will not even want to walk on the leash, or he may be 100% fine w it either immediately or w a little bit of time. If you want to give it a try it may help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I decided against the collar. That would be so much work for both me and the puppy, and I wouldn't want him completely dreading the walks especially with the cone. Limits his view, etc.

I did decide to go with GentleLead instead. I really don't like the pressure on his neck whenever we go for walks so I was looking into harnesses, and decided halfway that gentle lead might actually be a great idea when it comes to walking him instead of the harness. I'll probably get him a julius k9 harnses when he's much much older.

I swear I have spent so much unnecessary crap on this puppy just to make sure he gets properly taken care of. He's such a diva and lucky he's got parents that go all out for him hahaha. Chewy must be sick and tired of me making orders every week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.