Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good hiking/running lead

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Moose 
#1 ·
Hi,

Now that spring is here I am running more again with Maggie and once I move I will be hiking more too. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on good hiking/running leashes. I currently just have a 6ft flat nylon lead with a ribbon pattern. I was looking for something lighter, thinner and softer on my hands, but it needs to be strong too. I really just want something that feels less cumbersome.

I have one of these that I attach to to the leash too.
Amazon.com: Kyjen Outward Hound Leash Mate, Blue: Pet Supplies

Thanks everyone!!

#3 ·
I've heard great things about EzyDog's shock absorbing leash, though I've never personally tired it. I use a retractable leash (saves my arm!) or a regular nylon when running with Nola.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Would a shock absorbing leash encourage the dog to pull? Just curious.

#6 ·
Thanks Amanda. I saw that one. I was looking for something I little longer, around 6 feet.

#7 ·
I did just find this: Roamer

This looks promising.... I wish the colors were better though lol Maggie is such a girlie girl (me lol)...

#8 ·
Also, any good options on a harness. She currently wears a easy-walk, I cant use regular step-in because she is houdini (she sometimes gets spooked and will try to back out. I currently have her in a martingale collar too. I attach the martingale and easy walk together and have had no issues with escaping). But she is getting red marks on her under arms (?) from the rubbing and she running on an angle because of how the easy walk makes her turn when she pulls a little. She gets out of step-in harnesses by pulling away from me, ducking her head down until the back strap (where the lead connects) is over her head. The front clip works because she wiggle out and the strap underneath is so close to her front legs that she cant get those out either. So I am ideally looking for a non-front clip harness that she cant wiggle out of..... if it exists lol.

#9 ·
There are some front clips that are velvet lined... I think it's the Sensation harness? Or the Freedom harness?

I don't know how they are for houdinis, but EzyDog QuickFits are pretty popular for running.

#10 ·
I also use a retractable when I jog, but it can be annoying to carry in my hand. I've stepped on Coconut with a 6 foot nylon too often to use when running. That roamer looks really great, though. I wonder how the elastic works...if it is pretty loose or wears out easily.

#11 ·
For the rubbing, what about making a fleece sleeve to go on that part of the harness? I'm thinking about making one for Quest's. I haven't seen any rubbing yet and he hasn't complained about wearing it, but it looks like it's rubbing to me.

#12 ·
I kind of want to just buy her a new harness lol. I also dont like how the front clip harness causes her to run on a angle...

Would it help if I posted maggie dimensions? There are just so many options I dont know where to start...

#14 ·
Does Garp get hot with it on?

#16 ·
Does he pull a lot with it on?

#18 ·
Yeah I know...I am trying to work on it..lol..

I dont want a no-pull because she tends to run on an angle when she is wearing it. I was also looking to get a harness that was slightly less expensive than the webmaster....

#20 ·
I saw the hurtta y back, I am starting to lean towards it but I am afraid to purchase since she may be able to slip out (she is like a pipe cleaner...) I may just have to bite the bullet and try it out..

#21 ·
#23 ·
Crock just got the EzyDog one, and ZoesMom has the Hurtta I believe. You could ask them about it. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
I saw the Y and and I am concerned she will be able to slip to Y harness. I need one where the belly strap lands right behind her front legs..
I think I am going to start another thread on this in the clothing section..

#25 ·
I don't know too much about jogging (thanks to a leg injury I can't run) but I'm an avid hiker. I go as often as I can. I have the roamer and it's a really nice lead for hiking because of the ability to grab it right by them. You might like hiking with your dogs but if you go on a well beaten trail other people do not! Plus they're really durable. Admittedly we usually tuck hers into the back of her pack when we're hiking.

Another thing is it's good to have a pack for them while you're hiking. I tried all sorts and I had the best luck with the mountainsmith dog pack. It didn't sit too far down on her back (which is really important when hiking with dogs when they carry their own supplies.) Ruffwear has a couple of packs too but they sit funny on my dog at least. We tried them on at the store and the medium was too small and the large was too big! If you do go with ruffwear go with the Palisades because it rides closer to their shoulders and chest not their back but I don't like the straps and the sizes are really touchy.

We found it makes the hike so much better when they're carrying their own supplies. It also makes them more goal orientated because they have a mission. Our dog has the tendency to take off out of curiosity which is bad when we want to have a nice calm hike. I don't want to always have to call after her because she's taken off into the woods to see what that noise just now was. But when the pack goes on she knows it's serious time for a hike-hike and will stay right at our side.

We also bought the pack originally because we went on a week and a half hike. So it was somewhat important she be able to take her own food and treats and water. So if you're just always going for day hikes it might not be so important but even if you just put their treats in the bag it's one less thing you have to carry and worry about! When we go for a day hike I usually put two bottles of water, one on each side, her collapsible bowl and her bag of treats so it's not that full and not that heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.