Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Now that spring is here I am running more again with Maggie and once I move I will be hiking more too. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on good hiking/running leashes. I currently just have a 6ft flat nylon lead with a ribbon pattern. I was looking for something lighter, thinner and softer on my hands, but it needs to be strong too. I really just want something that feels less cumbersome.

I have one of these that I attach to to the leash too.
Amazon.com: Kyjen Outward Hound Leash Mate, Blue: Pet Supplies

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I've heard great things about EzyDog's shock absorbing leash, though I've never personally tired it. I use a retractable leash (saves my arm!) or a regular nylon when running with Nola.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard great things about EzyDog's shock absorbing leash, though I've never personally tired it. I use a retractable leash (saves my arm!) or a regular nylon when running with Nola.
Posted via Mobile Device

Would a shock absorbing leash encourage the dog to pull? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Amanda. I saw that one. I was looking for something I little longer, around 6 feet.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did just find this: Roamer

This looks promising.... I wish the colors were better though lol Maggie is such a girlie girl (me lol)...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, any good options on a harness. She currently wears a easy-walk, I cant use regular step-in because she is houdini (she sometimes gets spooked and will try to back out. I currently have her in a martingale collar too. I attach the martingale and easy walk together and have had no issues with escaping). But she is getting red marks on her under arms (?) from the rubbing and she running on an angle because of how the easy walk makes her turn when she pulls a little. She gets out of step-in harnesses by pulling away from me, ducking her head down until the back strap (where the lead connects) is over her head. The front clip works because she wiggle out and the strap underneath is so close to her front legs that she cant get those out either. So I am ideally looking for a non-front clip harness that she cant wiggle out of..... if it exists lol.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
There are some front clips that are velvet lined... I think it's the Sensation harness? Or the Freedom harness?

I don't know how they are for houdinis, but EzyDog QuickFits are pretty popular for running.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I also use a retractable when I jog, but it can be annoying to carry in my hand. I've stepped on Coconut with a 6 foot nylon too often to use when running. That roamer looks really great, though. I wonder how the elastic works...if it is pretty loose or wears out easily.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
For the rubbing, what about making a fleece sleeve to go on that part of the harness? I'm thinking about making one for Quest's. I haven't seen any rubbing yet and he hasn't complained about wearing it, but it looks like it's rubbing to me.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the rubbing, what about making a fleece sleeve to go on that part of the harness? I'm thinking about making one for Quest's. I haven't seen any rubbing yet and he hasn't complained about wearing it, but it looks like it's rubbing to me.
I kind of want to just buy her a new harness lol. I also dont like how the front clip harness causes her to run on a angle...

Would it help if I posted maggie dimensions? There are just so many options I dont know where to start...

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I kind of want to just buy her a new harness lol. I also dont like how the front clip harness causes her to run on a angle...

Would it help if I posted maggie dimensions? There are just so many options I dont know where to start...
For running, I LOVE the Ruffwear Web Master.

Ruffwear Web Master

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does Garp get hot with it on?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does he pull a lot with it on?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I know...I am trying to work on it..lol..

I dont want a no-pull because she tends to run on an angle when she is wearing it. I was also looking to get a harness that was slightly less expensive than the webmaster....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the hurtta y back, I am starting to lean towards it but I am afraid to purchase since she may be able to slip out (she is like a pipe cleaner...) I may just have to bite the bullet and try it out..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts