Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new puppy, 16 weeks old, had an issue with diarrhea. There's a whole story to that in another thread:)
Anyway, in trying to reintroduce puppy food from the prescription canned food, he had another episode. Someone told me blue buffalo causes diarrhea in sensitive dogs. Anyone have a recommendation for something else to try? I want something I can pick up at a reasonable place. I don't want to have to order online, etc. I prefer dry dog food as well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My new puppy, 16 weeks old, had an issue with diarrhea. There's a whole story to that in another thread:)
Anyway, in trying to reintroduce puppy food from the prescription canned food, he had another episode. Someone told me blue buffalo causes diarrhea in sensitive dogs. Anyone have a recommendation for something else to try? I want something I can pick up at a reasonable place. I don't want to have to order online, etc. I prefer dry dog food as well.
Thanks!

Has your dog had diarrhea on Blue Buffalo? The person made a pretty general statement- we feed Nyla Blue Buffalo Wilderness and have never had issues. She didn't do well on her old food and also with certain foods like peanut butter and eggs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rhea had diarrhea on Blue buffalo wilderness, so we switched her to Taste of the wild- salmon flavor. That helped immensely. She seemed to like it a bit more. We rotate both the dogs through the salmon formula and the wild boar. They do well on both, and haven't had any problems since switching them to it.

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
How did you re-introduce it? Were you going really really slowly? I assume he's doing ok on the prescription food, which one is it?

(I know quite a few dogs on BB withh no diarrhea problems. Every dogs different, what works for one doesn't nessecarily work for another.)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I didn't really explain it well. My pup started with a little diarrhea on the way to home from picking him up 2 hours away from a rescue, in a shelter setting. The diarrhea became progressively worse, he had some blood, etc. the rescue had given me a quart size ziploc bag of the food he'd been on to transition him. My other puppy has always had BB life protection formula, chicken and rice, so that's what we were transitioning to. We assumed he had something infectious, since he had a little on the way home, prior to me feeding him. That and the excessive diarrhea with blood and mucus! So he was treated with 2 different meds, and eventually started on canned food from the vet: Prescription Diet i/d. He got better. We had stool tests done, which were negative, but after the treatment had been given, so we aren't sure if it was really infected prior to treatment, or if it was something else. After a full week without diarrhea, I gave him about 1/3 cup BB with 1/2 can of the prescription diet yesterday morning. He had a slightly loose stool 1 hour later and had diarrhea in his crate again this morning. He apparently had another formed stool this afternoon. I haven't given him the BB since yesterday morning. I thought maybe it was best if I look for something that is generally better tolerated, if there IS something, as opposed to continuing to try to give him the same food... Not to knowing if it is the specific food or ANY regular food that will cause the problem. I realize all dogs are different, but I was hoping to tap into others' experiences for recommendations.

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
Ah!

Once he's got solid poo again, add just a few pieces of the BB kibble to his food. Seriously, just a few, less than a 1/4cup few. If he still reacts to it then, then you may need a different food for him, but its entirely possible that he's just got a very sensitive tummy when it comes to food changes. If he doesn't get diarrhea then repeat that same few kibbles mixed in for a few more meals, and if he's still good then double the amount of kibble and reduce the canned food by about the same amount and repeat.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Try purina one smart blend sensitive systems. You can find it in petsmart.
Why suggest this? This is not something that would make anything better. it has corn gluten and other crap in it. Granted, there is less crap in it than other low quality foods, but not anything that would really be beneficial.

If you're willing to spend the money, a higher quality food: ToTW, Orijen, etc. would be more beneficial than a lower quality, sub par food.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Why suggest this? This is not something that would make anything better. it has corn gluten and other crap in it. Granted, there is less crap in it than other low quality foods, but not anything that would really be beneficial.

If you're willing to spend the money, a higher quality food: ToTW, Orijen, etc. would be more beneficial than a lower quality, sub par food.

.... except that a lot of these "higher quality" foods are too rich for some dogs.

IME, I went through all of these ritzier brands... and Holly continued to have diarrhea. I settled on Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blends and she hasn't had diarrhea since. That's just my experience and obviously can't say it would work for your dog.

Honestly, it may be worth it to try something that isn't as "high a quality" to people on here. Numerous people on this site have had good results switching AWAY from brands like TOTW, BB etc. And honestly, what is the harm in trying it for a few months? Zero. See if it works.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
If the dog has the runs, then a rich food like orijen or TOTW will probably make the poops worse.

What worked for my dogs is Holistic Selects Poultry flavor. The gal at the pet store said this would fix up the loose poop, and she was right. Worked like charm. This is after I tried all the "high quality" foods. (although the Holistic Select is considered very good quality too, but it is not as high in protein and fat.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks!
If you're looking for petsmart, around the price of blue. i would reccomend Wellness Core. very good food, probably the best petsmart has to offer in my opinion, aside from royal canin and perscription kibble, but anyways i think you should take a trip up there and check it out, if our puppy has any problems with her Fromm puppy food we are going to rotate to merrick and if all else fails wellness is the next on the list!

goodluck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're looking for petsmart, around the price of blue. i would reccomend Wellness Core. very good food, probably the best petsmart has to offer in my opinion, aside from royal canin and perscription kibble, but anyways i think you should take a trip up there and check it out, if our puppy has any problems with her Fromm puppy food we are going to rotate to merrick and if all else fails wellness is the next on the list!

goodluck!
Actually, I picked up Wellness Core. One of the other puppies in the litter apparently had an issue with diarrhea and some skin issues. His "Dad" started him on a grain free, organic food and he did well, so I looked for something similar that I could get at a local pet store and went with wellness Core. He's doing better. Although my vet is now telling me the food won't matter, she put him back on metronidazole as an anti diarrheal. Switching from the prescription food to wellness did not increase his diarrhea. He was having squishy formed to loose stool no matter which he was eating.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I now have a list to work through if he doesn't tolerate the Wellness! He has gained 3.5 lbs in the first 3 weeks we've had him, and I can't see every rib anymore!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My Weezie couldn't handle the protein content in TOTW either so I switched her to LID Natural Balance. She has done great on it and it's perfect because they have treats in the same formula so there is no worries about issues when giving her treats.

·
Banned
294 Posts
I've had a very good experience with purina. my dog has been eating it for 9 years and has done great. It is my one year olds favorite. When I tried a high quality food Lily hated it and it had a recall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts