Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*My husband and I adopted a Dachshund, Oreo, in 2009 who was previously a puppy mill breeding dog. Great dog, although very shy, never barked or played with toys, got along great with our 1st dog.

*We adopt a 3rd dog and they bonded. She taught Oreo how to be a REAL dog - how to play with toys and bark and cuddle.

*We adopted our 4th and LAST dog (an older puppy) last year and she taught Oreo things that puppies do such as getting into mischief and occasionally doing naughty things. Oreo thought these things were "fun" and started to mimic her.

*The puppy has grown up and has stopped tearing things apart but Oreo is getting worse and worse! She has torn apart wee-wee pads, rugs, our COUCH, and torn apart a bench (we had to throw it out) and as of last night she was eating the living room carpet.

*I'm concerned because I find pieces of the things she's eaten in her poop. I'm worried for her health and our house! We started kenneling her and she loses her mind. She was in a kennel for the first 5 years of her life and I think it brings back traumatic memories. She barks and howls so much at night that we don't get a wink of sleep.
Besides talking with my vet (obviously), do any of you have any ideas? I know I'm not the only one that this has happened to!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'd start with the vet and then think about behavioral issues. I can't give a guess on purely behavioral issues because it could be thyroid issues, diabetes, pain of some kind, etc.

So rule out physical issues first and then we can discuss behavioral issues.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Yes, definitely have her checked at the vet. It's too bad she can't be crated but I'm wondering if she can be kept in an ex pen when someone isn't supervising her.

Does she get training and exercise daily? A lot of dogs that are destructive chewers are bored. Exercising her mind is as important as exercising her body. You might get a few interactive puzzle games for her. Trick training is fun and that too will help tire her, mentally.

I'm assuming the destructive chewing happens when she's left alone. Have you tried videotaping her when you're gone? That might give you some insight into what's going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We really want to video tape her. She does stuff when we're home, too.
She goes outside even more then our other dogs...
We're definitely taking her to the vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts