Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sheltie is a food hound. He is always hungry, and steals food whenever he can. Fortunately, we have managed to keep him out of the people food lately.

He eats hill science diet perfect weight and loses on it, but he's still just so hungry all the time. I think dieting dogs are likely to be hungry, though, but could it be the dog food not filling up his belly? (yes we measure the amounts he gets)

Either way, my real concern is that science diet has corn in it and since he has been eating it, he's been real itchy. So I want to look for something healthier with meat.

But all the good dog food doesn't compare in calories to science diet. Perfect weight has less than 300 kcal per cup.

So far all I have been able to find is 300- 360(or higher) range. Does anyone know any good alternatives that will be better for my dog but still allow him to lose weight without feeling starving?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hill's brands (and many others) are garbage. It's like eating McDonald's as a staple diet. A better quality food with, not necessarily less calories, but less carbohydrates should help satisfy your dog. I would advise to stay clear of grains and poultry-based foods for now, as they are both common allergies.

If you have a Tractor Supply Co. near you, you can try their brand 4Health Grain-Free (their Whitefish formula is good). It's a good food and it's not as expensive as other relatively comparable foods. Similar to Science Diet, though, 4Health's calories are 40%+ carbohydrates.

You can also try out brands like Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free (they actually have a weight control formula). My dog has grain and poultry allergies and he's a picky eater, but he liked their Coastal Catch food when I bought it. Earthborn's calories are around 28% carbs, so it's better for weight management.

Some other good brands with lower percentages of carbohydrates are Wellness Core Reduced Fat (38%) and Zignature (38%). Zignature (lamb formula) is actually the only food my dog has not been picky about. It's high quality and he digs right in (though he doesn't wolf it down too quickly, thank goodness). He's a Siberian Husky, about 56 pounds, and he currently gets 2 cups a day.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
How about Acana light and fit. Feeding a food that has more calories coming from meat the dog will be more satisfied and with the higher quality food you will feed less. Feed according to the weight your dog should be instead of what the dog weighs now.
Light & Fit | ACANA Pet Foods

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Also if your worried about "filling" him up then you can always feed less kibble (good quality) and add in either boiled or canned (only in water and rinsed throughly) to the food.

For example if I wanted to diet my pooch I'd add 1/2 green beans to 1/2 cup of her Acana (instead of feeding her 1 cup Acana).

Does that make sense? I just got off work, so I apologize if I ramble.

Reactions: Little runt

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dog fat? = Feed less. Don't worry if he's still hungry, that's what a diet is all about.

Some dogs are always going to be hungry. My lab would eat himself into his grave if I gave him unrestricted access to food. That's why if you go to a shelter you'll see so many morbidly obese labs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My lab would eat himself into his grave if I gave him unrestricted access to food. That's why if you go to a shelter you'll see so many morbidly obese labs.
Labrador Retrievers are prone to obesity to begin with. Add onto that the fact that the majority of owners overfeed out of love. It's not just shelters, and not just Labs. I currently walk a year old Labrador named Zeppelin, for Led Zeppelin, although she more resembles the dirigible. It makes me honestly sad to watch her grow up and blow up. We have another dog who comes to us for daycare, a Beagle. When she was first adopted by her owner, they fed her so much we ended up nicknaming her "Potato" because she had no shape. Thankfully, they educated themselves and cut down on the food, and the pup gets tons of exercise while with us, so she's in utterly gorgeous shape now. So many dogs are overweight or obese simply because people can't feed them properly and don't exercise them enough.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I currently walk a year old Labrador named Zeppelin, for Led Zeppelin, although she more resembles the dirigible.
That made me laugh. :thumbsup: even though it's truly sad.

I have a serious issue with fat dogs. Far more than with fat people. I am empathetic with people who can't stick to a diet because they have no impulse control. Its a lot easier said than done. Dogs on the other hand don't have the impulse control problem because regardless of their impulses they only eat what we give them. If your dog is fat it is 100% your fault.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
my labrador has lost 1.3kg on Acana light and fit and he gets dehydrated chicken necks for treat. My lab gets 2 cups a day for weight loss and im aiming for 37kg. Due to being a lab and severe arthritis he struggles greatly with his weight and pain.

I highly reccomend the light and fit formula though it is chicken based mind you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try feeding diamond or 4health (they're actually the same I believe) there's less fillers than most brands and spread out the food through the day.
Also feeding your dog "treats"/snacks is fine, opt for frozen or fresh veggies though, my pit Letti loves fresh or frozen carrots celery okra broccoli the list is endless. If the veggies are frozen it makes them work for it more and some dogs prefer frozen to chew on also

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Try feeding diamond or 4health (they're actually the same I believe) there's less fillers than most brands and spread out the food through the day.
Also feeding your dog "treats"/snacks is fine, opt for frozen or fresh veggies though, my pit Letti loves fresh or frozen carrots celery okra broccoli the list is endless. If the veggies are frozen it makes them work for it more and some dogs prefer frozen to chew on also

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Be careful with the broccoli it can cause stomach problems. A little is fine but to much can cause problems.
Can I Give My Dog Broccoli?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would say Fromms Weight Management (Weight Management Gold Dog Food - Daily Feeding Recommendations).

Or Fromms Gold Coast Weight Managment (Weight Management Gold Dog Food - Daily Feeding Recommendations). Both Very good food. The Fromms's Gold Coast is fish based so its better for your dogs coat and helps with allergies/ Itchy dogs.

You could also add a little bit of water to the food to make them feel fuller.

Another food you could try it Natural Balance Fat Dog (Fat Dogs Low Calorie Dry Dog Formula | Natural Balance Pet Foods)

I hope you find what you need :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Diet dog food is garbage. Dogs absolutely do not belong on a high carb diet! Your dog is starving for what he really needs--good quality protein and fats (yes fat is good! and satiating). Dogs have no need at all for carbs, and they just mess with the dogs digestive tract and skin. I see so many dogs on diet dog food--all of them are either fat or trying to eat everything they can get their mouths on, including poop.

A much better, high quality, non "diet" food, fed in reasonable amounts, would work a lot better for slimming. Best of all would be a species appropriate, raw food diet. Your dog would look fantastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I can just feed him less and he will lose weight? Do I need a weight control dog food then, or will one not specializing in weight control work, like Earthborn's coastal catch?

Also what about blue buffalo and nature's recipe? Are these dog food okay?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So I can just feed him less and he will lose weight? Do I need a weight control dog food then, or will one not specializing in weight control work, like Earthborn's coastal catch?

Dog weight loss is the exact same as with humans. You eat less and exercise more = weight loss. I agree weight foods or "lite" foods are stuffed with fillers that are meant to keep your dog fuller longer are just a gimmick. My lab mix has always be chubby and would always be hunger no matter how much "filler" is used. Dog would eat an entire bag of food with no regrets lol.

I use Orijen/Acana grain free for food, which are caloric dense so I feed less and add more lower caloric "treats" during the day/training to supplement. Things like carrots, apples, sweet potato (dehydrated at home), berries and green beans are great.

Keep in mind I supplement to make her feel like she's getting more when she isn't. This doesn't stop her from begging though because she will eat at any time.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
That made me laugh. :thumbsup: even though it's truly sad.

I have a serious issue with fat dogs. Far more than with fat people. I am empathetic with people who can't stick to a diet because they have no impulse control. Its a lot easier said than done. Dogs on the other hand don't have the impulse control problem because regardless of their impulses they only eat what we give them. If your dog is fat it is 100% your fault.

On the whole I agree with you, my exception being if the dog has some sort of medical condition. Some of those, or the medicine used to treat them, make it nearly impossible for a dog to lose weight, and some cause weight gain.

Reactions: Little runt

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

My boy seems to look at food and gain weight. I manage to keep him from becoming a 1 foot tall dog that's around 2 1/2 feet wide by exercising him and doing strict portion control. I learned the hard way to count in any and all treats that I give him. The dog food bag recommends that a dog of his weight be fed 2/3 cup of food a day I only give him 1/2 cup. That helps to adjust for his topper and the treats I use for training. If he gets any extra food I cut back a bit more on the kibble, and I may also exercise him a bit more. To help him stay feeling full, I feed him 3 to 4 times a day depending on if he gets a higher calorie chew. He's fed 2 larger portions, and then around lunch he'll either get the chew or some of his daily kibble in a food toy, and he's fed what kibble he has left right before bed to keep him from getting hunger pukes. If I don't do that he sits in the kitchen, making pitiful noises, convinced that death from starvation is imminent.

He's only 11 lbs, and I use treats with the lowest calorie count I can find, usually 1 1/2 to 4 calories per treat. He usually gets no more then 3 or 4 of the 1 1/2 calorie one and no more then 2 of the 4 cal ones. I break the treats up into little pieces. His kibble is Fromm and I stick to the grain free line.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
out of desperation i tried acana light and fit for my overweight lab and he is losing it nicely, it has oatmeal but other then that no fillers, all healthy. its been a great food for him and he is staying on it unless he doesnt do well on it long term

1 - 20 of 22 Posts