Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend for a dog that has food allergies?

I think I may try taste of the wild for my beagle-chihuahua mix, June. She is scratching her jaw so much it is red and puffy, and she made her gum right below her tooth bleed today. :(

I haven't really found many food options that are wheat/soy/corn free, but this one looks like it may be decent...?

Making my own food for her would not be an option because 1, my mom and dad would not approve. They always say, "she is just a dog. She will be fine", and 2, I don't have a job yet and it would be too expensive for me to afford on my own :(

Help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to mention that she is currently on the Kirkland brand dog food from Costco. My mom just buys it because it is cheap...
Iam willing to pay up to $30 (maybe $40)for a small bag of food for her.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
A good place to go to research the ingredients in food is Chewy.com they have a very big selection of grain free no soy foods....anyway, you can look at all the brands and read all of the ingredients then go to Dogfoodadvisor.com to check out how they are rated.
That formula has chicken meal.....which is a common allergen for many dogs.
If you feel they are allergic to their food start by purchasing a limited ingredient type food ( NOT chicken or beef, as they are most common allergens for dogs) that is grainless, fish, buffalo, turkey, venison, duck, pork, lamb, etc.

Reactions: Petlover7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I also forgot to mention that she is currently on the Kirkland brand dog food from Costco. My mom just buys it because it is cheap...
Iam willing to pay up to $30 (maybe $40)for a small bag of food for her.
If she is going for cheep then ask her to get the single protein one that costco has called natures domain. Other wise I recommend Zignature. You want a single protein food that your dog has not eaten.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I recommend the Nature's Domain line from Costco too. It is grain free, corn free, etc and has reasonably good reviews.

I would avoid poultry based foods (chicken esp is a common allergen), since you may not know what your dog is allergic too. I recommend the Salmon formula that comes in a blue bag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dog had allergies. His food sensitivities were especially bad. He ended up on venison. We fed either Canine Caviar or Instinct wet and Natural Balance sweet potato and venison dry. These were expensive. We don't have a Costco in our area, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi!
My little rescue mutt had a HORRIBLE time with being itchy. She also has a finicky digestive system. I switched her over to VeRus' Cold Water Fish formula and she has virtually STOPPED ITCHING! It has been amazing! Her coat looks great and she has energy - probably more evident since she doesn't have to stop to scratch every 3 or 4 steps.
Go to Verus Pet Foods - Home. They have a great website full of information and a contact form you can fill out if you want to ask questions or ask for a sample.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
We found that adding an omega 3 supplement to Samantha's food, daily, really helps control her itchy skin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
food unfortunately is overlooked for the major irritants.... wheat soy and corn is your major ones. ... I suggest grain free food and it does not have to be expensive. ... remember to look at the ingredients 1st ingredient should NEVER be corn. .... I suggest looking into Fresh Pet Baked Grain Free : Freshpet Fresh Baked Grain-Free Chicken
Made with 100 percent fresh chicken
All natural with added vitamins and minerals
Made with fresh ingredients
Gently cooked to lock in nutrients
Made without chemical preservatives
Healthy dose of superfoods like spinach and cranberries
Doesn't include any rendered meals
Each recipe is cooked at lower temperatures, not over-processed, to retain essential nutrients
Find this recipe in the dry dog food aisle ... no here is the part many overlook. ... treats or wet food need to be grain free as well ... if your best friend is allergic the itching could be return with even a little amount you can find the food at Petsmart or even your local Walmart.... hope this helps

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Here's a photo very reasonable in price

Does Fresh Pet have any formulas that are chicken free? If not then the food may well be useless for the OP's dog. The food that Petlover7 was feeding contained chicken and chicken is an allergen for many dogs so it's likely that it was one of the ingredients that was causing the itching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts