Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My dog has really bad allergies all year round and I'm thinking of changing her food for a more allergy friendly brand to see if it helps.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap, but good dog food? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine has allergies too. So far the only food does not trigger any reactions in my pup is Blue buffalo basics with turkey and for treats, I buy dogdeli chicken (dried treats). Hope it helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Our pup had really bad skin allergies. Our holistic vet suggested Quercenol, an over the counter supplement. We gave it twice a day for a year and his skin cleared up. Very few ingredients. Vitamin C and a couple of others. You can crush it with the mortar and pestle. Add to food.
Maybe this will help someone.
Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi guys,

My dog has really bad allergies all year round and I'm thinking of changing her food for a more allergy friendly brand to see if it helps.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap, but good dog food? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

My vet told me it could take a long time to narrow down what ingredients they are allergic to. You would have to remove an item for weeks to see if it helps. Could take a year or more depending on item combinations and luck. Anyway , I would guess there are some fairly common dog foods that are better at it than others. I’ve had good luck with Science Diet. One I know switched to Royal Canine and that solved her dogs allergies. Another stated Ojien worked for his dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. Another thing I used after getting an allergy test from the vet, was allergy suits. These are wonderful. They interrupt and BREAK the itch cycle. I got two of them. I would say the allergies cleared up in a about a week using the suits. The quercenol kept the allergies away. I made sure to wash them in an antiallergy soap. Washed all the bedding well also.

I also used to curry, flea comb and brush my dog when he started to scratch. I bathed him once a week using chlorhexidine PS shampoo. I had sprayer bottles filled with half distilled water and peroxide for spots and touch ups. I used the stronger chlorhexidine mix from a bottle in a sprayer bottle with distilled water.

One of the things I discovered because I had a dog with allergies is that when I took him to the groomer, that because the groomer uses the SAME blades on every dog and even though they sterilize them, my dog would break out. He was put to sleep before his next grooming but I was planning on asking her to please use my own clipper blade. That way only HE would be using that blade. Not sure if this helps or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts