Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any really good, informative, and LONG dog books (I have 730 days until my birthday/graduation/getting a puppy) that I can buy?

Also, I know there are books about purebreeds, but are there any books out there that are specifically about mixed breeds, such as cockapoos?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Most books about specific breed are gimmicks to be honest, they hardly discuss anything breed specific. They do offer good information though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, some good training books would be nice. Or maybe a book that walks you through getting a puppy (housebreaking, sleeping through the night, getting spayed or neutered, teaching your pup to walk by your side on a leash etc.). So kind of like a Dogs for Dummies book. But then I guess you guys can help me through housebreaking and all that.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Well, some good training books would be nice. Or maybe a book that walks you through getting a puppy (housebreaking, sleeping through the night, getting spayed or neutered, teaching your pup to walk by your side on a leash etc.). So kind of like a Dogs for Dummies book. But then I guess you guys can help me through housebreaking and all that.

"The power of positive dog training" by Pat Miller.

The forum can also help you with any issues that come up ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I highly recommend going to your local petsmart or petco and registering your pup for a puppy class. It is the best way to get your training time in and get them socialized. They are very well priced as well. My chihuahuas sit, lay, stay, come, etc....CHIHUAHUAS lol. GL and congrats on getting a pup!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I highly recommend going to your local petsmart or petco and registering your pup for a puppy class. It is the best way to get your training time in and get them socialized. They are very well priced as well. My chihuahuas sit, lay, stay, come, etc....CHIHUAHUAS lol. GL and congrats on getting a pup!

Very good idea, except I'd nix the petco part.

The classes are cheapy priced for a reason. :eyeroll: Go watch a few. You'll see why ;)

When your ready to look for a trainer let us know, I can recommend some great sites.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much guys! I will look into the book you recommended, Criosphynx, and will definitely be on this forum a lot. Still 729 days to go though.... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts